Sudden Drop In Performance?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
BryanPearson
Level 1
Level 1

Sudden Drop In Performance?

Post by BryanPearson »

I am nearly certain I remember CrystalDiskMark read and write performance of over 10K MB/s but now I am typically getting mid-6K at best.
Is there something going on with newer releases of Windows? My NVMe is reading what it always has - 3400 MB/s so I am puzzled. I tried disabling anti-virus and other investigations, but I can find no reason for it.
Does anyone else have similar slow-down issues?
I have a Ryzen 1700 at the stock 3000 MHz and ram is at 2666 MHz.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Sudden Drop In Performance?

Post by Support »

Did you change the ramdisk settings? Do you run CrystalDiskMark with Administrative privileges?
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: Sudden Drop In Performance?

Post by InquiringMind »

Welcome to the forums BryanPearson,

The most likely cause of your slowdown would be memory settings in your UEFI/BIOS - if you have been overclocking, then review any changes made (in particular, getting a CPU to run at maximum speed may require reducing the Uncore clock multiplier - since this affects the CPU memory controller, this can significantly reduce memory, and hence ramdisk, performance).

If you haven't been overclocking, it is still worth checking UEFI/BIOS memory settings to confirm that they have not been reset to "safe" or "compatible" settings due to any previous mishap. Generally you will want "performance" or "XMP" settings (for appropriate memory) to see the best performance.

You might also wish to consider screen-capturing and storing the results of previous benchmarks to allow for easier monitoring and comparison of performance in future (particularly useful if you want to compare performance between different versions of Primo Ramdisk...).