NTFS Ramdisks not working properly with Windows 8.1

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
thegilpins
Level 1
Level 1

NTFS Ramdisks not working properly with Windows 8.1

Post by thegilpins »

Hi,

I have created a support ticket for this, but thought I would post anyway as it maybe helpful for other users.

I have been using two NTFS DirectIO ram disks on Windows 8 Pro 64bit for temporary files and browser cache. I have an image files for both the load and save at Windows boot and shutodwn. Typically Windows boot would take 5 seconds.

After upgrade to Windows 8.1 the boot time increased to 25 seconds.

After some investigation I found the boot delay was due to the NTFS ram disks. These load significantly slower on Windows 8.1 compared to Windows 8. The issue occurs for both NTFS DirectIO and SCSI ram disks.

I have now changed the ram disk type to FAT32 and Windows 8.1 now boots again in under 5 seconds.

I guess something has changed in NTFS within Windows 8.1.

Despite the extended boot time I have not noticed any issues with the NTFS ram drive post boot.

Will Romex be creating a a driver update so I can use NTFS ram disks within Windows 8.1?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: NTFS Ramdisks not working properly with Windows 8.1

Post by Support »

Do you use the Smart Image format for the image file? I think during upgrade, there were a lot of temporary files saved to the image file, thus the image file loading time are increased a lot.
If possible, could you test a new NTFS ramdisk as you did for FAT32 ramdisk? Thanks.