Firewall/Antivirus Problems Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
Eraslo
Level 1
Level 1

Firewall/Antivirus Problems

Post by Eraslo »

Hello! Im testing Primo Ramdisk and have a problem or lets say i need a hint...

What is the Problem: I cant create any Firewall or Antivirus rules for software on the Ramdisk.

Firewall Problems

In Direct-IO mode:

I create a rule for "Z:\program\program.exe" in my firewall and it works but only for that session. Dismount > Reboot > Mount and the rule dont work anymore.

In "Training Mode" the Firewall tolds me the path of the program is "Z:\program\program.exe" so it should work.

In SCSI mode:

Exactly the same, "Z:\Program\program.exe" works till reboot.

But in "Training Mode" the firewall tolds me the path is "c:0\program\program.exe". But creating a rule for "c:0\..." dont work neither and after reboot and mount the path is "c:2\program\program.exe" or c:3\ and so on...?

For now i wasnt able to create a rule which works after a reboot. Any ideas?

Antivirus Problems

Neither "Z:\..." nor "\Device\Scsi\FancyRdPort0Path0Target0Lun0" works for any rule. At least not till reboot.

I miss something? Is that a normal Ramdisk behaviour? Would be nice if anyone could give me a tip about it!

The Software itself (primo ramdisk) works pretty good and fast, im testing it on a Windows 7 x64 machine with 32GB and dont have any problems besides the stuff from above.

bb
Eraslo
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Firewall/Antivirus Problems

Post by Support »

Hi Eraslo,

Do you enable the image file feature?
Eraslo wrote:Dismount > Reboot > Mount

Are "Dismount" and "Mount" operations needed?

And what's your firewall and antivirus programs?

Thanks.
Eraslo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eraslo »

Hello and thank you for answering.

Yes, i use image files. Simple Example: Create a Ramdisk > Installing Software onto the Ramdisk and save the ramdisk > Dismount. So i can quickly mount it if i need it. Most of the time its even possible to uninstall the software after saving the ramdisk and simply don't "update" the ramdisk. Which makes many software kinda "portable".

Are these operations needed? No, but Mounting and dismounting (if the software is required, a Sandbox VM for example) is exactly what i was looking for. I checked your Help (website) and know that i could make a Ramdisk and have it "always loaded" (auto save and load on shutdown/restart) but thats not what i need.

This machine running Commodo Firewall 5.12 and the latest Avira Antivirus. Don't get me wrong, it is not a big deal to answer the question of the firewall every time but i would like to create a rule for that.

FunFact: If the firewall asking me to allow or deny connecting "Z:\program\program.exe" to the Internet and i answer "Allow + Remember my answer" (that create a simple rule) the rule still don't work (after a restart). What happen is that the Firewall asks over and over again (once per restart) and create the same rule over and over again!

Ps: while i wrote this i checked your "File system advanced settings" and notice this one: Volume serial number. I didn't pay attention to this option. I guess you make it random without turning this option on? I should give it a try. Don't know, maybe the Firewall/Antivirus do not simple check for the path.

bb
Eraslo

Edit: I just tested it, the serial number is indeed random. Then i made a new disk with a custom Serial Number. But i noticed that its useless cause a saved image file get the same Serial Number after mounting even if it was randomly given by Primo Ramdisk. When the Serial number is saved in the image file, what else could be different after a restart?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi Eraslo,

Thank you for the detailed explanations. Did you try it if you don't unmount the disk and automatically load the ramdisk at reboot? It seems that Commodo Firewall ignores these rules which are not valid at startup phase.

Regarding the custom Volume Serial Number, it is only for ramdisks which don't enable the image file feature. If the image file feature is enabled, the VSN always follows the settings in the image file.
Eraslo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eraslo »

Hello!

I can confirm now that my problems are related to the Firewall/Antivirus. And that its not a problem of Primo Ramdisk. As you said, for some reason (security reasons i guess) the Firewall dont apply any rules on "new drives" appearing after a restart. At least not during my tests. A Ramdisk which gets loaded during the Bootup process works like it should be and dont get any "problems" with the firewall.

Unfortunately in my case, thats not what i need or i could use (except for a browser + cache maybe?). Changing the Firewall could help, but to be honest, i dont think so. Good thing: its just one click per day to get rid of the problem! :)

I will continue my testings in the next few days. At least, its still not a big deal just laziness :)

Alright, thank you for your Support "(Mr./Mrs.) support" and perhaps we "see" us again!

bb
Eraslo

Oh and sorry for my English, im German and wasn't the best in my "English Class" :lol:
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hello Eraslo,

Thank you for your testings again!

Please feel free to contact us if you have any problems.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Eraslo,
It may be possible to work around this by creating a link on a standard disk to your program on ramdisk, and creating a firewall rule using that link instead. I would suggest using the free Link Shell Extension utility (which allows you to create hardlinks and junction points) and see if any links created using that works.
Otherwise, an alternative firewall (Outpost is worth a look if you like detailed rules-based software) may be your best bet.