How to map the entire C:\ Drive to Primo RamDisk during system boot?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
andrew
Level 2
Level 2

How to map the entire C:\ Drive to Primo RamDisk during system boot?

Post by andrew »

Dear Support Team,

I recently installed Primo RamDisk and would like to know the steps to configure it to map the entire C: drive to RamDisk during system boot. I would like to back up the RamDisk contents to the D: drive during shutdown. I understand that this may slow down the initial boot-up and shutdown process, but I am willing to accept this trade-off for the performance boost.

If mapping the entire C: drive is not possible, could you please provide guidance on how to map the main folders (e.g., Users, Program Files, Program Files (x86), System) ?

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
Andrew
KenMccormick
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to map the entire C:\ Drive to Primo RamDisk during system boot?

Post by KenMccormick »

andrew wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:46 pm Dear Support Team,

I recently installed Primo RamDisk and would like to know the steps to configure it to map the entire C: drive to RamDisk during system boot. I would like to back up the RamDisk contents to the D: drive during shutdown. I understand that this may slow down the initial boot-up and shutdown process, but I am willing to accept this trade-off for the performance boost.

If mapping the entire C: drive is not possible, could you please provide guidance on how to map the main folders (e.g., Users, Program Files, Program Files (x86), System) ?

Best regards,
Andrew
To map the entire C: drive to RamDisk during system boot, please follow these steps:

Launch the Primo RamDisk application on your computer.
In the main interface, click on the "Configuration" tab.
Under the "Image File" section, click on the "..." button to browse for the location where you want to create the RamDisk image file. Choose a suitable location on your D: drive.
Set the "Size (MB)" option to match the size of your C: drive or the desired size for the RamDisk.
Select the file system type you prefer for the RamDisk (e.g., NTFS, FAT32).
Check the box next to the "Auto Load & Save Image" option.
Under the "Load Image on Startup" section, choose "At Windows Startup."
In the "Target Disk" section, select the drive letter associated with the C: drive.
Click on the "Add Folder" button and select the main folders you mentioned (e.g., Users, Program Files, Program Files (x86), System) to include them in the RamDisk.
Once you have added all the desired folders, click on the "Apply" button to save the configuration.
Last edited by KenMccormick on Tue May 23, 2023 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Primo Ramdisk replies on Windows, so during the Windows boot, you cannot map the whole c drive which contains the Windows install to the ramdisk.
KenMccormick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KenMccormick »

Support wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:57 am Primo Ramdisk replies on Windows, so during the Windows boot, you cannot map the whole c drive which contains the Windows install to the ramdisk.
I forgot what you said. Thank you very much
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Also it is not recommended to map Windows main folders to the ramdisk. If you really want, you may try the Junction Points. However, some files may be in use and you cannot move them to a new location.
SnowReborn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SnowReborn »

andrew wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:46 pm Dear Support Team,

Best regards,
Andrew
unless you need the volatility to stay private on your data(loss all data on power off); but if you are only concerned of performance, then I think primocache is much better solution to boost performance in your case. I use ramdisk for shadowplay or other 24/7 disk write activities to save wear on disks.