Fancy.cache 0.6.2 incompatible w/Win 7 Backup & Restore

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
insertrealname
Level 3
Level 3

Fancy.cache 0.6.2 incompatible w/Win 7 Backup & Restore

Post by insertrealname »

Hello,
I decided to try fancy.cache for volumes 0.6.2 a week ago, caching the C: system volume with 2GB cache/4K block size/LFU-R/30 sec. deferred write on a notebook with 8GB ram, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1.

The only major trouble so far is that fancy.cache must be stopped before backups using Win 7 Backup & Restore will complete without error.

I use Windows Backup & Restore as a second backup program to make copies of files on an external disk that does not have enough space to also store a system image. (I use another program to handle incremental system image backup to a larger external disk.)

If fancy.cache is active, the backup will start, but end with errors 2-3 minutes later:

In the "system" Event Log: (ID 7036) 13:29:25 Service Control Manager: The Virtual Disk service entered the running state.
(ID 1) 13:29:28 VDS Basic Provider: Unexpected failure. Error code: 490@01010004
In the "Application" Event Log: (ID 4104) 13:31:59 Windows Backup: The backup was not successful. The error is: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002).

The other backup application I use is Lenovo "Backup and Restore" which does seem to work OK with fancy.cache enabled.

If more information is needed, please ask.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Fancy.cache 0.6.2 incompatible w/Win 7 Backup & Restore

Post by Support »

Is it the first time you try the FancyCache? or you have tried the previous version of FancyCache before?
I asked in order to determine if this issue happens in version 0.6.2 only or also in previous versions.

Thank you.
insertrealname
Level 3
Level 3

Post by insertrealname »

I did try an earlier version of fancy.cache about 3 months ago, but it was the "disk" version, and I did not use Windows Backup & Restore during that time.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, can you tell us the model/type of your notebook for our reference?
Does SATA works in AHCI or IDE compatible mode?

Thanks.
insertrealname
Level 3
Level 3

Post by insertrealname »

Always AHCI.

Sorry for the delay in answering; yesterday I noticed that the Windows event log had the following events every time I have rebooted since 2011/07/16 (approximately when I started using Fancy.Cache):

Log Name: System
Source: Ntfs
Date: 2011-07-22 21:38:47
Event ID: 134
Task Category: (2)
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DarkMatter
Description:
The transaction resource manager on volume Windows7_OS encountered an error during recovery. The resource manager will continue recovery.

and

Log Name: System
Source: Ntfs
Date: 2011-07-23 12:00:15
Event ID: 55
Task Category: (2)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DarkMatter
Description:
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume .

When I ran "chkdsk c: /f", the utility was set to run the next time I booted--but this did not happen. So I ran "sfc /scannow" to repair autochk.exe with the right version, and reboot. Now, after a second reboot, the autochk.exe did run the chkdsk.exe correctly at boot.

There were a few invalid NTFS index entries, which were repaired. I ran "sfc /scannow" again to ensure no essential Microsoft system files had been lost--everything was fine.

I uninstalled Fancy.Cache and made another complete system backup (earlier backups this last week might have errors).

I am not sure that this set of problems in due to Fancy.cache: my system is very stable & carefully managed without problems or crashes prior to installing Fancy.cache, but it's too difficult to sure which program might have corrupt NTFS.

Now that my system is in a good state, and I have a good backup again, I will install Fancy.cache for volumes again and see if it does corrupt NTFS.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thanks, insertrealname.

We'll verify the corruption issue you reported. Also waiting for your next results.
insertrealname
Level 3
Level 3

Post by insertrealname »

support wrote:Thanks, insertrealname.

We'll verify the corruption issue you reported. Also waiting for your next results.
Don't expect anything before a week or more.
insertrealname
Level 3
Level 3

Post by insertrealname »

O.K., now I have some data. No Windows Event ID 55 (Error: NTFS corruption) yet, but Windows Event ID 134 (Warning: transaction resource manager recovery). Neither message occurs when Fancy.Cache is not installed and active.

I have configured Fancy.Cache for Volumes 0.6.2 in the following way:
Fancy.cache for Volumes 0.6.2 configured on C: partition
Fancy.cache for Volumes 0.6.2 configured on C: partition
DARKMATTER_2011-08-04_16-52-09-FancyCache For Volume (Beta) 0.6.2 - Trial.jpg (65.36 KiB) Viewed 9864 times
I use "Mozy Home" for my off-site backups; it's configured to use Windows Volume Shadow Copy service to back up in-use files, but only when necessary. It has a history window, which you can see a part of in the right-hand side of the following screen capture. On the left-hand side is the listing of Windows events from the NTFS source. I have drawn lines to correlate the start of Mozy backups and a subsequent Windows Event ID 134 "The transaction resource manager on volume Windows7_OS encountered an error during recovery. The resource manager will continue recovery."
Windows NTFS Event ID 134 and Mozy Home backup correlations.
Windows NTFS Event ID 134 and Mozy Home backup correlations.
DARKMATTER_2011-08-04_16-43-57-MozyHome - History.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 9864 times

I am not sure about the significance of these event correlations. I am going to use my regular backup programs later today to see if they trigger any events (Lenovo backups succeed, but Windows Backup & Restore always fails.)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi insertrealname,

Thank you very much for your detail feedback. We've started to study this issue you reported.
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Hello...

i got a similar problem with Acronis Backup...

1. Tray to disable differed write and test
2. and then tray disabling averaging write amount... and test...
3. See if you have access to options on your backup software like "direct hdd access etc."
4. Tray a "chkdsk c: /f" command line and tray to backup after that
5. Update your backup soft to last version... Make a clean install.
6. Update your windows
7. Disable or uninstall FC to see if the problem is really coming from there...
8. Tray disabling all other running softs and make a backup

Sorry to don't give you a direct solution but as we are beta testers we need to debugs error cause we have the machine that produce the error and it's very complicated to the support to reproduce the error cause they tray to reproduce it on virtual clean machine...

i got a similar problem with blue screen, with acronis backup and it take me more than 6 month to get the problem solved... it was an incompatibility with old version and windows update etc...

other user got this problem... check it around...
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=229491
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... b599b31bf5
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 02012db8e2
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=229491
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 621AAN44oX

many solution is given... have a look

good luck ;)