Are you still developing Fancy Cache?

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
PrinceVan
Level 1
Level 1

Are you still developing Fancy Cache?

Post by PrinceVan »

Hey there,

are you actually still developing Fancy Cache? The latest beta released something like 9 months ago.

Thx

David
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Are you still developing Fancy Cache?

Post by Support »

Hi David,

Thank you for your attention to FancyCache.

Yes, FancyCache is still being developed now. We already have a new design and will have some new features that requested by many testers.
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

I'm not usually one to get impatient but 9 months is a long time to wait, especially with a nasty memory leak.

Any chance your team might consider moving to smaller more frequent releases? That seems to be the popular trend these days, use the Agile method, do smaller incremental releases. Plus small changes make it easier for us users to beta test.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We're really sorry for the delay of new version release. Some technical and project schedule problems make the release to
take more time than expected.

As some new features and fixing some problems require a different design and new algorithm, we decided to release the new version after all problems and features are settled.

Thank you for all your help.
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

No need to be sorry, this is free beta software, I wouldn't dream of complaining. However the long delay between releases seems to be affecting user engagement.

To be honest, I don't really have any issue with the software it works very well and despite the memory leak it doesn't crash nor does it have any issues with corrupting files. That's pretty impressive in it's own right.

I have a dedicated storage server running F.C but from the people I've spoken to they're usually running the software on gaming machines. I've gotten the feeling that the memory leak has caused a lot of these users to lose interest in F.C. The forums we're pretty active for a while but they seemed to have died down a while ago..
CacheUser101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CacheUser101 »

dustyny wrote:To be honest, I don't really have any issue with the software it works very well and despite the memory leak it doesn't crash nor does it have any issues with corrupting files. That's pretty impressive in it's own right.

I have a dedicated storage server running F.C but from the people I've spoken to they're usually running the software on gaming machines. I've gotten the feeling that the memory leak has caused a lot of these users to lose interest in F.C. The forums we're pretty active for a while but they seemed to have died down a while ago..
There are issues with FancyCache Beta 0.8.0 and I run into them every day. The issues I have are delays with "some" software start-up. I use both Read/Write Caching and the Defer Write Latency with Release After Write features which causes some of these issues with some programs; program delay start-up until Release After Write has expired. At first I used a 60sec Latency but have now reduced it to 10sec to make it more usable. Don't get wrong I like this utility and totally understand it's Beta but that is why we are "Beta" testers too, to help the Developers fix any valid issues. My main use for Fancycache is 1st to reduce Disk/SSD access, 2nd speed.

I thank the Romex Developers for this great software!!

Keep-up the great work!!
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

What are the programs that are having an issue? Do they always exhibit this behavior or is it seemingly random?
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Incriminated »

Does fancy cache support invoke immediate starting the write-flush when the data planned to be transeived has a higher filesize that the cache-capacity before, so it will try to prevent running out of cache (wait-times) as far as possible?

I means lets say i want to write 2GB to a HDD that offers 100MB write-rate.
Normally it would take up to 20 seconds.

With 1GB defer-write fancycache, it can write half of the file in about a second, but then need to wait 10 seconds for the cache to be flushed to disk to have capacity for another 1GB. So you are probably off at +11 seconds.

Invoking the flush immediately would save 1 second.