Memory dedupe

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Memory dedupe

Post by dustyny »

Just wondering if Romex has considered memory deduplication. I've been getting huge savings using dedupe with virtualization and storage (sometimes as high as 80% dedupe rate :D ), not sure if it's applicable to what you guys do.
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Memory dedupe

Post by Manny »

http://opendedup.org/perfmon
looks like speed limit on writes about 800Mb\s, so inline dedupe may make cache useless. As for me it is better to perform dedupe on file system level.
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

god I feel like I'm beating a dead dog.. :roll:
Deduplication can happen at many levels and of course it's complimentry to use them together (except block & file sys, that's usually one or the other). Block level, file system, tape backup, active memory, database.. Blah blah blah.
http://opendedup.org/
perfmon looks like speed limit on writes about 800Mb\s

Sigh.. First off nothing about this project has anything to do with active memory dedupe. Opendedup is a file-system (SDFS) and that 800MB's write only applies to their project. Since SDFS isn't in the mainline Linux Kernel they have to use FUSE which runs in the user space and has tons of performance penalties.
, so inline dedupe may make cache useless.
Reeaaaalllyyyy so inline deduplication would make a cache useless..? So that means that programs like VMware, KVM & AIX use async deduplication on active memory. Please explain how that is suppose to work? :lol: :lol: :lol:
As for me it is better to perform dedupe on file system level.
As opposed to what? You imply you have experience, then give examples. What other levels have you used dedupe on and why is it better to do it at the file system level?
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Manny »

dustyny wrote:Sigh.. First off nothing about this project has anything to do with active memory dedupe. Opendedup is a file-system (SDFS) and that 800MB's write only applies to their project. Since SDFS isn't in the mainline Linux Kernel they have to use FUSE which runs in the user space and has tons of performance penalties.
Here is one more link http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/arch ... -2012.aspx
Quote from it.
When copying a single large file, we see end-to-end copy times that can be 1.5 times what it takes on a non-deduplicated volume.
When copying multiple large files at the same time we have seen gains due to caching that can cause the copy time to be faster by up to 30%.
Under our file-server load simulator (the File Server Capacity Tool) set to simulate 5000 users simultaneously accessing the system we only see about a 10% reduction in the number of users that can be supported over SMB 3.0.
Data can be optimized at 20-35 MB/Sec within a single job, which comes out to about 100GB/hour for a single 2TB volume using a single CPU core and 1GB of free RAM. Multiple volumes can be processed in parallel if additional CPU, memory and disk resources are available.
Please provide other speed tests if you have some.
dustyny wrote:Reeaaaalllyyyy so inline deduplication would make a cache useless..? So that means that programs like VMware, KVM & AIX use async deduplication on active memory. Please explain how that is suppose to work? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have no idea how it works there, VMWare Server ans WS dedupes RAM pretty bad. 16 clones of same VM with 512mb of ram, eats total about 8Gb. Maybe ESX does better, but it is a Linux, and right now we are not talking about Linux solutions. You can tweak it much more then Windows. KVM in kernel virtualization mode i suppose do not dedupe but reuse kernel and libs directly, but I can be wrong. And yes it still can make cache useless if you need speed higher then ssd raid 0. Under VM i was not able to reach more then 750 MB/s for disk operations, even on ram drives.
As opposed to what? You imply you have experience, then give examples. What other levels have you used dedupe on and why is it better to do it at the file system level?
Opposed to your idea: dedupe in block level cache. Better to leave it to file system (NTFS in my case), Microsoft much more popular and has much more resources to provide good support and build nice tools. And if block level cache works between dedups and hardware IOps, then cache will contain only uniq data. I'm not sure that it is like that, but it looks logical for me. And in opposit situation we can perform two dedupes, if NTFS does it's own, and then FC does it's own, it looks like overhead and bad design to me.
P.S. I have used NTFS and off-line dedupe for VM's. It works fine for me. I can't provide examples of your idea. But it looks illogical to me.

P.P.S same if you would not start to use facts and proof links, I would loose interest talking to you. So please keep it in mind, if I would ignore your messages.
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

Manny you're completely ful of shit and a waste of time. Ignore my posts, please do me that favor. :D
Don't worry I'll keep correcting your bullshit, so other's don't waste time with your nonsense answers. :lol:
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Manny »

dustyny wrote:Manny you're completely ful of shit and a waste of time. Ignore my posts, please do me that favor. :D
Don't worry I'll keep correcting your bullshit, so other's don't waste time with your nonsense answers. :lol:
Same useless post as usual. So far you have not corrected anyone. No ideas, no links, just have putted two nice words together and post is ready.