Please fix FancyCache windows 8 support

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
PtDragon
Level 3
Level 3

Please fix FancyCache windows 8 support

Post by PtDragon »

On win 8x64 fancycache causes bluescreens (several times per day).
When caching is disabled - no bluescreens.
Please fix that ;)
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Please fix FancyCache windows 8 support

Post by dustyny »

I use this with Win2012 and it's the same OS (with small interface differences) and I'm not having this issue.

Have you checked your memory? I'd run memtest86 and see if you have any bad sticks. Also if you got the PC with Win8 already installed you might have software installed from the manufactorer that is conflicting with Fancycache...
PtDragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PtDragon »

Yep, I've testem my RAM (4 passes in memtest).
I've installed system myself.
Maybe there could be some driver conflict...
How to check(I don't want to deinstall and reinstall all drivers)?
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

Well the first place we always look when troubleshooting Windows is the Eventviewer. Startmenu - Run - eventvwr
This is where Windows keeps all it's error logs. Look for critical errors and do google searches to see what they mean and where they come from. It will be very confusing at first but over time you'll find that it's the most important tool you have. Just keep in mind that there is no such thing as an eventlog with no errors, you can have system that is working perfectly but have a badly programmed app spitting errors out left and right. However the best thing to look for is what happened right before the BSOD. Hopefully the system has time to spit out some errors before you get BSODed and you'll have something to start your research..

the easiest way to test to make sure it's not a driver issue would be to go in to safe mode but Fancycache might not be able to work in that mode. It's worth a try, hit F8 on system restart (before you see the windows logo but right after bios) and choose safe mode. If it does work and doesn't BSOD then you definitely have some sort of conflict (either driver or software).

A general rule of thumb when you are having stability issues is to make sure all your drivers are up to date, especially the GPU they are the biggest culprits of instability. However it's also a good idea to check the forums to make sure there aren't any major problems with the new driver release.

Next you can deactive any startup items that you have running in the background. Start Menu - Run - msconfig, uncheck everything under the startup tab (make note of what is checked before you do, so you can re-enable them). If the problem goes away with everything unchecked, then slowly reactive everything (troubleshooting usually involves a lot of tedious rebooting).

Finally if that doesn't work you can try running SiSoft Sandra's Burn-in tool http://www.sisoftware.net/ , it will stress every aspect of your machine and if there is a problem chances are it will BSOD. That will tell you if you have problem with your system or a Fancycache issue. Just be sure to disable Fancycache before you burn-in..

Good luck and let us know what you find
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Manny »

PtDragon wrote:Yep, I've testem my RAM (4 passes in memtest).
I've installed system myself.
Maybe there could be some driver conflict...
How to check(I don't want to deinstall and reinstall all drivers)?
First of all please post what error code do you see in BSOD.
Also you can turn on small memory dumps and analyse them with WinDbg. Here is instruction for that http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window ... death/1922
After you do it, you will probably see what driver or software module causes BSOD at the end of the log.
bryanwieg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bryanwieg »

Hello,

I have a similar trouble on my Windows 8 machine. After a few days of use, the computer will freeze or hang for a long time (up to indefinately) during memory or HD intense operations, such as compiling programs. The problem gets worse the longer it runs.

The only way I have to fix it is to disable FancyCache. With it disabled, this PC can run for months without ever shutting down, and does not experience hang's or anything similar during intensive operations. Memtest is clean.

I have not found it stable enough for long-term/daily use.

Here are my specifications:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CJfC ... xBEgpplO1t

Bryan
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Manny »

Similar happens to me after high memory usage, when something goes to swap. In such case everything is very slow and it usually takes 2-5 minutes to launch FC tool and switch it off. Then it works normal. But even when memory is free again and I enable FC - it works in general much slower then before, and I hear HDD all the time. So as for me something goes wrong when swap file is cached and intense used.