Recovery of the amount of Level-1 free memory is working bad Topic is solved

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
tekken
Level 4
Level 4

Recovery of the amount of Level-1 free memory is working bad

Post by tekken »

I have setup fancycache 0.8 (disk) like writeonly cache for HDD. All working good, Hdd have 99% Idle, but amount of level-1 free bytes reduce from 10GB to 0,6GB after 4-5 days of server working (win2008 OS).

Fancycache have next settings:
BlockSize=64K
Strategy=writeonly
DeferWrite=enable
Latancy=60 sec
Averaging Write = yes
Shutdown Flash = no
Release after Write = yes
Algorithm = LFU-R
L1 cache size = 10240MB
L2 cache disable
Overcome C1 Issue = yes

So what you can say about this? Recovery of the amount of Level-1 free memory is working bad :?:

P.S. Sorry for my russian-english language ;)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Recovery of the amount of Level-1 free memory is working

Post by Support »

The free cache memory is not important. When it is full, the program will automatically discard old cache data and hold new data according the cache algorithm (LRU/LFU).
Teodosio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teodosio »

Actually I think that is one of the best feature of FancyCache. No file should be dropped from the cache unless the space is needed for newer or more frequently used files. Every MB of empty cache is a wasted MB! :D
tekken
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tekken »

support wrote:The free cache memory is not important. When it is full, the program will automatically discard old cache data and hold new data according the cache algorithm (LRU/LFU).
Thank you for your answer, but I thought that the "Release after Write = yes" setting is responsible for this, am I wrong? :roll:
Teodosio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teodosio »

Ops, I just re-read your OP, I am sorry, I didn't notice you were talking about a write-only cache :P
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

"Release after Write" means that the cache that have been written/flushed to the disk will be released and used for holding new data when there is no more cache space. It acts like a standby cache. If there's no new data needed to be cached, the cache still remains current data for possible reads.
tekken
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tekken »

support wrote:The free cache memory is not important. When it is full, the program will automatically discard old cache data and hold new data according the cache algorithm (LRU/LFU).
So, How can I determine that RAM for writeback cache is not enough? by "Write Bytes (Deferred, Urgent) = X" value :?: