Unusual suggestion

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
grkstyla
Level 1
Level 1

Unusual suggestion

Post by grkstyla »

Hi guys,

first like to waste everyone's time in saying how awesome this software is, I find it helps with almost all my data intensive tasks on my server and my personal machine,

but I have a weird suggestion that probably would only benefit myself,

I have a server that has 12 hardrives (ranging from 1tb to 3tb) that are always connected and another 10 that are on/off depending on use, these drives are all set as JBOD and are used for long term storage and fast retrieval of large files (ranging from 4gb to 14gb)

sometimes i do a large scale backup and i find that fancycache helps the hardrives (the ones to the backup) cope with the large amount of data being written by lowering their activity from 93% average to 7% average (awesome!)

but i have to enable disable the individual fancycache drives each time i select a different backup destination, the reason why is the server on has around 3gb available memory at any given time but 12 to 24 hardrives being accessed, so giving fancycache 100mb per hdd (definitely not enough) in 256k block size would use all the free ram the server has rendering the backup program to freeze and bluescreen

what might be a good solution as i realize creating and disabling a cache takes mere seconds (even when using a 8gb cache in 4k (on my personal machine) that maybe this step could be made dynamic

e.g. you activate a 2gb cache on all drives (or some selected ones) lets say C D E F G and the program sees the hardrives are idle and doesn't activate anything, then upon a sustained high activity on say D the program would activate the cache on the fly bringing the activity down (i have tested this manually and it works great) then when the drive is free again disable again.

maybe in the settings the maximum amount can be set to say 2gb (in this example) with a minimum per drive (eg 300mb) so if you start accessing say E after its already activated to D it maybe can dynamically switch and give some to both with a minimum to each drive being 300mb with a max total use of 2gb

food for thought :roll:

Good work by the way even if it stays the way it is, cos its awesome

p.s. i also like the idea of selecting a directory to be forced into cache (maybe from the context menu) and then have to release it manually or release at next reboot.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Unusual suggestion

Post by Support »

Hi grkstyla ,

The feature you requested does seem somewhat complicated to be implemented, but anyway thank you for your thoughts!
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Unusual suggestion

Post by dustyny »

Have you considered bumping up your RAM, it's really cheap these days. It's a much easier solution..