USB WiFi adapter does not connect automatically

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
JimF
Level 4
Level 4

USB WiFi adapter does not connect automatically

Post by JimF »

I use a USB WiFi adapter on the PC on which FancyCache for Volume 0.8.0 is installed (Win7 64-bit). The WiFi adapter is a Rosewill RNX-N180UBE, which uses the Realtek RTL8192SU chip, and has the latest driver from Realtek installed (1086.48.809.2011). Oftentimes when I reboot, the WiFi adapter does not make contact to the network automatically, and so I have to connect to the network manually. This is not a problem when FancyCache is not installed. The warning message I get in the Event Viewer is:
Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Admin
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client
Date: 5/19/2012 6:57:33 AM
Event ID: 1003
Task Category: Address Configuration State Event
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: Folding-PC
Description:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address

0x001AEF110FC1. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the

network address (DHCP) server.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client" Guid="{15A7A4F8-0072-4EAB-ABAD-F98A4D666AED}" />
<EventID>1003</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>3</Task>
<Opcode>77</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-19T10:57:33.828125000Z" />
<EventRecordID>159</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="972" ThreadID="480" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Admin</Channel>
<Computer>Folding-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="HWLength">6</Data>
<Data Name="HWAddress">001AEF110FC1</Data>
<Data Name="StatusCode">121</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Re: USB WiFi adapter does not connect automatically

Post by Mradr »

Well it could be a issue with fancycache, but the error it self is just saying this:

You cannot connected to your network because someone has this IP and your server only allows x amount of PC on the network. Please wait untill there is more free IP to use.

This sound like another pc is comming in and taking that pc place everytime that one shuts down either by a laptop or another home pc that wanted that IP address but at the time could not have it.

Again, it could be FC, but it is always a good idea to check out other things such as someone else getting onto your network if it seems to happen on reboots when the program it self doesn't really care about networks.
JimF
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JimF »

Mradr wrote:You cannot connected to your network because someone has this IP and your server only allows x amount of PC on the network. Please wait untill there is more free IP to use.

This sound like another pc is comming in and taking that pc place everytime that one shuts down either by a laptop or another home pc that wanted that IP address but at the time could not have it.
I have that PC, and all my others, on the DHCP Reservations List of my router. So there is no fighting for an IP address. It is probably due to FancyCache delaying some service or driver from starting in time to get the IP address, but I will leave it to the FC experts to figure out what it is.

EDIT:But I did try assigning a fixed IP address to my PC (the same one that was assigned by the router), and that does not fix it either, so it is not directly related to getting an IP address. The WiFi adapter works (starts automatically) about half the time after a reboot, and I have to start it manually about half the time. But when I disable FancyCache, it starts up automatically all the time that I can see.
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mradr »

Seem like a common problem from what I been seeing around. Not really Fancycache fault for say other than it could be delaying your AV/Firewall witch means it is delaying you from getting a IP from the DHCP host/server - if this is true.

Let me ask a few questions:
1) What AV are you using?
2) Are you using the windows firewall? If not, are you using a firewall and what would that be from/is?
3) Have you ever try to set it to delay start before? (Never put it into a delay start)
4) Have you tryed reinstalling the drivers for that usb device?
5) Have you disabled your cable connections/hardware (because something is delayed, it could be looking at the cable/lan connection first instead of the wirless if it is still enable)?

I would say delay the FC startup xD but I'm not really sure how atm. Also, could we have your FC settings and other settings about your hardware?
JimF
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JimF »

1. No AV at all; this is a dedicated machine that I use only for distributed computing, and all the software is first downloaded on another PC that does have an AV that checks it.
2. Windows firewall is disabled
3. FC is not delayed.
4. I have reinstalled the drivers several times, as I change the WiFi adapter occasionally and update the drivers to the latest version.
5. There is an onboard wired LAN adapter on the motherboard, but it is disabled in the BIOS and so its driver does not even install.

Here are the FC settings. If you need anything else in particular, let me know, but it all seems pretty standard to me. And the problem is clearly due to FC, since it does not occur when FC is disabled. (Possibly I could try a PCI WiFi adapter rather than the USB adpater; maybe the USB ports are slowed down by FC.)
FancyCache.PNG
FancyCache.PNG (53.33 KiB) Viewed 12957 times
JimF
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JimF »

I seem to have found a solution with a different USB WiFi adapter. The original one was a Rosewill RNX-180UBE, which uses a Realtek RTL8192SU chip. That is a single-band (2.4 GHz) 802.11n adapter.

The new one is a Rosewill RNX-N600UBE 802.11 a/g/n adapter (dual-band), which uses the Ralink RT2870 chip. That one seems to avoid the problem that prevents the adapter from starting up after a reboot. I have now rebooted it 4 times (3 hot reboots, one cold reboot) and it has worked each time. So that will be good enough for me, unless the problem comes back again later.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi JimF,

According to your FC settings, perhaps you may try to reduce the Cache Size or increase the Block Size. I find that your system available memory is in low level which may cause this issue.

Thanks.
JimF
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JimF »

Thanks. I have solved the problem another way, with an internal PCI WiFi adapter (not a USB adapter). It does not cause any problems on reboot.
Voyager
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Voyager »

I had this problem also with a Amilo laptop. Removing the caching, solved all wifi problems (disconnects etc etc).