Different "Defer Write latencies" for different files

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
Holger
Level 1
Level 1

Different "Defer Write latencies" for different files

Post by Holger »

Hi,
first at all: Great product. I really think it helps on saving write cycles on my ssd.
I am using it in combination with visual studio, and it would be great to have a small write latency for the files that I save (small files, mainly .cpp, .h) and a high write latency for all the temp files (.obj, .ink, .tmp ...) that are generated during a build, because I would not care of loosing any of these files in case of a crash (since they can easily be re-generated).
So it would be great to have different latency settings based on filesize or (even better) file extension. Would that be possible?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Different "Defer Write latencies" for different files

Post by Support »

Thank you for your nice suggestions.

Currently I am sorry that this is quite difficult to be implemented because of principle and program architecture.
TechRaven
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Different "Defer Write latencies" for different files

Post by TechRaven »

Due to how they are doing cache at a block level rather then a file level, I can't imagine this happening without serious performance impacts (bad).

BUT...

If your using C++ projects, what I do is partition my SSD into two volumes, C: and R:, R: being a 40gig "temp" partition. FancyCache uses a latency of 14400 seconds for the R: drive with a 6 gig buffer, and I leave it off all together for C:, worst case I BSOD and I have to rebuild, but that's really really rare...
Then I use the property manager (.props in VS2010) to change the intermediate output location.

You can use something like this to redirect the intermediate output without issue
R:\INT\$(SolutionDir.Substring(3))$(Configuration)_$(PlatformToolset)\$(ProjectName)\

I don't know of an easy way to relocate the huge IPCH folders they introduced without causing conflicts (if you work on multiple branches).. If you don't work on branches you can set a fallback under Options->Text Editor->Languages->C++->Advanced or something close to that.

Good Luck