! SOLVED ! FC070 kills 4 backup programs in XP Pro SP3

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
Itsme
Level 2
Level 2

! SOLVED ! FC070 kills 4 backup programs in XP Pro SP3

Post by Itsme »

! PROBLEM SOLVED ! by selecting "Stop Caching"

Sadly, I must report that JUST having FC070 installed--even though NOT actively running--causes the following backup and recovery programs to lock up (freeze) so that only a power off reboot will restore my computer:

Paragon Partition Manager™, version 11, build 9887 (14.04.10 ) SE Personal
EaseUS Todo Backup Free 3.0
Acronis Disk Director Server® version 10.0 (build 2,239)
DriveImage XML freeware ver 2.02

They all 'crash' only after I initiate the actual backup process. Sometime they die almost instantly, but usually after about 10-20 seconds.

I have WinXP Pro SP3, 4GB RAM, (1)SSD and (2)HDD's, AMD 2.6GHz 4-core CPU.

I use the default auto settings for FC.

Un-installing FC allows all the backup programs to run fine.

Boo hoo hoo !

So FC is incompatible not only with my SSD trim program (AS Cleaner 0.5 = FreeSpaceCleaner.exe) but also with all my backup programs. ;-(

I think I will go swallow the extra RAM I just bought to use with FC and hope I die painlessly. ;-(
Last edited by Itsme on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: FC070 ''kills'' 4 backup programs in XP Pro SP3

Post by Support »

Hi Itsme,

Thank you again for your feedback.

This issue seems quite weird. Usually when FC is not active, there shall be no any impact on the original drives. We'll trace this issue, but I am not sure if this issue can reproduce on our site. Can you tell me the following information?
1) Did you use volume edition or disk edition?
2) Was FC installed after these backup programs had been installed?

Thanks.
Itsme
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Itsme »

1) I am using FC 0.7.0 DISK version.

2) I installed FC (months to years) after these backup programs were installed.

The only way I can back up and/or trim my SSD or other drives (using the programs I mentioned), is to un-install FC.

Just shutting FC off still causes the freezing.

After I trim and/or backup, then I re-install FC and it works fine.

HOWEVER, I NOTICED A NEW PROBLEM last night---with FC installed (running or not), then the SSD starts slowing down much sooner.

This does NOT seem to be a trim issue. Just un-installing FC and rebooting (WITHOUT RUNNING the trim program AS Cleaner 0.5) allows the SSD to run at normal speed.

Since I also use "FreeRAM XP Pro 1.52", I can see my RAM usage all the time.

With FC uninstalled, "FreeRAM XP Pro 1.52" shows that 2048 MB RAM is always available. FC says that 2540 MB are available not just 2048. FC is correct, not "FreeRAM XP Pro 1.52" which is from 2003? when 2GB RAM was the maximum limit.

Anyway, installing FC --whether it is running or NOT--reduces the available RAM to about 1640 MB. Both "FreeRam" and FC agree on 1640 MB, since this is the same amount FC says it is giving the OS to use.

Un-installing and/or NOT running "FreeRAM XP Pro 1.52" does not change any thing. This program seems not to conflict with FC.

Is there some other information I can send you so you can help me to use FC which I l♥ve ?!?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi Itsme,

Well, thank you again for your information.

I think we have to clarify some concepts first:
Itsme wrote:installing FC --whether it is running or NOT--reduces the available RAM to about 1640 MB.
Since the available ram is reduced, then I would say that the cache is active whether the FC application running or not.
Please note that closing FC application does not stop caching function. The cache is still active and working. The only way to stop caching fucntion is to click "Stop Caching "button.

So when you say "whether it is running or NOT", do you refer to closing/opening FC application? Did you try to click "Stop Caching" button and then run backup programs? Are there still problems if you doing so?

Thanks.
Itsme
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Itsme »

! PROBLEM SOLVED !

Yes, selecting "Stop Caching" solved my problem! THANKS!

I did try that option before--and it did not seem to solve the problem--but now it did.

:-D
nvn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: ! SOLVED ! FC070 kills 4 backup programs in XP Pro SP3

Post by nvn »

Adding cache schedule can help ease such issues in future? OR even "Stop cache on this exe lunched?" Just brainstorming.
Violator
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ! SOLVED ! FC070 kills 4 backup programs in XP Pro SP3

Post by Violator »

I'm using Acronis True Image Home with the Plus package (2011 and recently bought the 2012 license), and didn't run into that problem.
I'm sitting on Windows 7 Pro x64 thou, but maybe the OP could try the backup software that is purposed for a workstation OS instead of testing with a full server thing?
I also use MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, no problem there either.
I don't need to stop caching to make any of them work.
The only thing that conflicts for me is WinSat, but that is a known issue.