Freeze/Crash delay writing into a RAID 1 volumne

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
mobiuspizza
Level 2
Level 2

Freeze/Crash delay writing into a RAID 1 volumne

Post by mobiuspizza »

Hi. Earlier I tried to move about 4GB of images from my SD card in J drive to M drive, which is basically a RAID 1 volume on Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.6.0.1002 on Intel Z68 chipset.

The primary cache is set to 1GB as above.There is 10 second delay write as shown.
Just after copying 1GB of photos, the computer froze. I didn't know at first how much I moved. After PC restart I saw 3GB of data moved, but only 1GB of photos were valid. The other 2GB were files with data as 00 hex. However the 2GB of photo were gone from the SD card!
Basically I lost 2GB of photo data :/

Since it malfunctioned at almost exactly 1GB (0.99GB) and no other programs were acting suspicious, I suspected it was fancy cache. I don't know whether this is casued by defer write or not.

When computer froze, no I/O were possible. I barely manged to run task manager but saw nothing suspicious, then everything froze so that even re-running task manager was impossible. Explorer started to crash and computer won't respond to anything. I had to hard reset the PC.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Freeze/Crash delay writing into a RAID 1 volumne

Post by Support »

Hi mobiuspizza,

I am very sorry to hear about the data loss. :(

Not quite sure if the frozen was caused by FancyCache. Personally I suspect the compatibility issue with Intel RST 10.6.0.1002. Our R&D team will do the further study.
manus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by manus »

Any news about Intel RST 10.6.0.1002 compatibility issue?
DMatter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DMatter »

hello I have the same problem but without the raid
config( C2D E8400, 8Gb Ram, asus maximus formula II, SSD M4 Crusial, 3x2Tb WD, window 7 x64, + driver Intel RST 10.8.0.1003 )
the config
- SSd M4 crusial Fancy cache L1 activate with 256 RAM (4k)
- 2Tb WD Fancy cache L1 activate with 1024 RAM (32K)
is fully fonctionnal

or the other config
- 2Tb WD Fancy cache L1 activate with XXXX RAM (X K) and L2 Cache of the SSd M4 crusial of XXXX Gb
(I tried many configuration, when the L1 cache is full, the PC freezes or reboot but very rare)
I never recovers the hand

I tried the L2 cache of a other DD 2Tb WD and the problem is same
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi DMatter,

If possible, could you try disable caching on 2TB WD disk? And then try the simplest cache config on your SSD without Defer-Write and L2 Cache enabled.

Many thanks.
DMatter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DMatter »

hello

with the new intel RST driver 11.0.0.1032 the L2 cache is fonctionnal

- 2Tb WD Fancy cache L1 activate with 1024 RAM (16 K) and L2 Cache of the SSd M4 crusial of 4096 Gb

this config is fully fonctionnal

tested yesterday during a gaming session of 2 h
and there are many of them writing and reading data on the L2 cache, when the L1 cache was full (the monitor was fancycache in the background)