Fancycache on laptops

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
joeyjoejoerocks
Level 1
Level 1

Fancycache on laptops

Post by joeyjoejoerocks »

Hi there, I am posting to say how awesome FancyCache has been working for me so far. I just upgraded my laptop to 8 GB RAM mostly to try out the features of FancyCache to the greatest extent possible. I have to say that it's really helped in terms of extending battery life (about 20-40%; I guess the hard drive drains the battery quite a bit), much less noisy and seems to run a bit cooler as well! Above all faster.

I was thinking if it was possible in the future to have a persistent cache for the RAM or even the L2 cache. It could be handy, especially for reads. That way the most frequently accessed data will persist in the cache after reboot. I suppose this might have an effect on boot times, though. I expect it to be easier to implement in a desktop system - that way you might be able to have a mirror of the cache data; I'm curious of how this could be implemented in a sound way on a laptop.

Nevertheless the difference the cache makes even without persistence is quite good. I had also tried a competitor's product out, but my laptop didn't take kindly to me putting it to sleep and using the cache; I had no choice but to reformat - safe-mode wouldn't work and system restore couldn't fix anything. This issue would always happen after a sleep; first very strange memory-related error messages, then upon reboot Windows wouldn't start.

So far with FancyCache on Windows 7 64-bit sleep has not been an issue whatsoever. Anyway, I'll keep on testing this product out. I look forward to its release!

JD
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Fancycache on laptops

Post by Support »

Hi JD,

Thank you for the feedback.

We have started to implement the persistent level-2 (SSD) cache. Hope it can be released in the next version.
sparkler
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sparkler »

im finding the level2 cache rather buggy e.g if you stop caching when its using a level 2 cache on a usb3 flashdrive it will stall for ages
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

sparkler wrote:im finding the level2 cache rather buggy e.g if you stop caching when its using a level 2 cache on a usb3 flashdrive it will stall for ages
Well, we'll checking this issue soon. Thanks.
laferrierejc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by laferrierejc »

persistent l2 cache across reboots?

is there a feature log that comes with the program so I can tell when the persisten cache has been implemented?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

laferrierejc wrote:is there a feature log that comes with the program so I can tell when the persisten cache has been implemented?
well, you can monitor the "latest news" section in this forum,
viewforum.php?f=24