Windows swap file Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
JulinanRDWinter
Level 1
Level 1

Windows swap file

Post by JulinanRDWinter »

Does fancycache cache the Windows swapfile? (Assuming it is on the cached volume/disk).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Windows swap file

Post by Support »

yes.
JulinanRDWinter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JulinanRDWinter »

Thanks
Quark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Quark »

fancycache 0.8.0 don't cache pagefile on my volume P (last partition on disk1), however it caches regular access to volume like folder contents. Why? It was cached it before reboot when i created it.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Sorry, paging file is not cached since version 0.6.2 to prevent possible hang. Later we may do a fine tuning on this behavior.
Violator
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Violator »

If you got enough RAM to cache the paging file you might as well just disable it. (You should monitor 24/7 how much you commit, got free and cached thou)
Caching the paging file is kinda pointless anyway, since it is used as backup and/or to keep memory free for other things.
I've been running without for some years, and only got problems with a game that checks for it's existence.

There are a few app's that check for the paging files existence and won't run without, but those are a minority.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@Violator: might be useful on 32-bit Windows since Windows cannot access memory above 4GB
Violator
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Violator »

True, but if your running Windows 7 on a PC with more than 4 gigs the OS should be 64bit in the first place. ;)
And sorry to say so, but for paging I would rather use ImDisk or the ramdisk solution you guys have, I guess it can be initialized before the OS?
Which Windows Version is the OP intending to use this for anyway?
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mradr »

Well as with Windows Vista and higher you can create semi-links. I just started playing with them myself. They are like a super shortcut type link between files and folders. FC could create one on the fly to move the data from the pagefiles over to the unusedable ram if it sees a 32bit OS/enviroment with enough ram.

Just an idea.
Quark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Quark »

I need pagefile cache because i use virtual memory for ramdisk larger that ram and it pages out unused data to pagefile.
It differs from plain cache — it works in opposite way and uses dynamic amount of ram. Need cache of pagefile because it causes other processes to page out and back.
Some software also can cause other processes to page out and back and need some fix like weighed buffer for paged out data.