Trimmed Blocks on Raid 0 SSD? And huge Writes (Total)?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Ejizz
Level 1
Level 1

Trimmed Blocks on Raid 0 SSD? And huge Writes (Total)?

Post by Ejizz »

Hi

Can someone please explain the below figures to me, as it currently looks to me as if there are some reporting bugs?
I have 3 x25-m's setup in raid 0, the performance monitor says that blocks are being trimmed, I didn't think that was currently possible for ICHXR raid?

Also when I run a benchmark, the total writes that the performance statistics reports are just out of this world, 829.80GB is crazy, yet deferred writes are 12.81GB?

Regards

Rhys

magic-man
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Trimmed Blocks on Raid 0 SSD? And huge Writes (Total)?

Post by magic-man »

I don't work for Romex, but I have been testing FancyCache on my Windows 7 system with an OCZ Vertex LE drive. I think I can help you understand what you see...
As far as the TRIM blocks, they are independent of the SSD and controller driver. Basically it is my understanding that the following happens:
The disk cache recieves a block of data to write to the SSD. If the OS (Windows 7) sends a TRIM command on that block of data (meaning free the block for use) before the block is flushed to the ssd, then FancyCache deletes the block of data from its cache and does not need to write anything to the SSD.

As far as the write bytes, I did an experiment. I fired up the Windows 7 partition on my spare hard drive (without FancyCache), then brought up task manager. On the processes tab, I selected the following under view/columns: IO reads, IO writes, IO Read Bytes, IO Write Bytes.
I then ran DiskMark on the hard drive AND the SSD. The results were quite startling to say the least. Here are the results:

Disk----------Program----------Test Type----------IO Reads----------IO Writes----------IO Read Bytes----------IO Write Bytes
Hard---------DiskMark----------1X100 0fill---------7,282--------------9,214--------------1,646,368,318---------1,800,478,737
SSD----------DiskMark----------1X100 0fill---------499,730-----------515,883------------8,426,591,806---------8,332,830,481
Hard---------Atto----------------256M---------------240,999----------226,024-------------3,162,354,498---------3,392,372,736
SSD----------Atto----------------256M---------------559,911----------596,336------------13,119,701,850--------12,450,058,240

About all I could say was WOW... I confirmed the amounts written to the SSD with CrystalDiskInfo SMART data.... It added up. The only thing I can think of is that hard drives and SSDs do things totally different in the way blocks are handled. All this was done without the disk cache installed, but the numbers jive with what was reported by FanctCache.
I only used 1X100 rather than 5x1000 like you did, but if you multiply it out, it comes up about the same as your results. Just goes to show that benchmarking CAN do a LOT of writes (damage) to an SSD if done too much. It also shows just how much FancyCache can PROTECT the drive!!!!!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@magic-man: I can't agree with you more! :D
@Ejizz: The test size "1000MB" in CDM means that the all the test data ranges from logical address 0 to logical address 1000MB. It does NOT mean the test data amount is 1000MB in one test run. Normally test bench tools do multiple repeated write testing to reduce the testing error and to close to the real performance value.
FC reduces the written data amount by consolidating the data on the same address. Please refer to the section "Consolidates the multiple writes on the same address" in
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fanc ... rites.html
Ejizz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ejizz »

Thanks very much for your explanations.

Fancy Cache seems like a potentially amazing piece of software that has boosted my system.
I'm using W7 x64 and unfortunately I have been getting random hard lockup's where my system just freezes and I have to cut the power and reboot.
I have now just un-installed FC (volume version) to be sure that it's the culprit.

Is there any known issues with regards to system lockup's?

Thanks

Rhys
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Ejizz wrote:I'm using W7 x64 and unfortunately I have been getting random hard lockup's where my system just freezes and I have to cut the power and reboot.
I have now just un-installed FC (volume version) to be sure that it's the culprit.
we'll pay close attention to this issue.