Next Version? Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Next Version?

Post by Support »

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your testings and feedbacks!

In regard to persistent level-2 cache, I'm sorry that I forgot to mention the following limits. It seems that you have already known them :)
1. Level-2 Storage: only basic disk is supported in this version. The partition to be formatted to a level-2 storage can be a raw partition. This means that it is not necessary to format a partition with NTFS, FAT32, or other file system before formatting it to a level-2 storage.
2. In this version, level-2 cache only stores data that were discarded by level-1 cache. This means that if level-1 cache is enough large to hold all hot data, no data will be transferred to level-2 cache. Later we'll update the algorithm to make level-2 cache able to store hot data from level-1 cache.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

That would be nice. From what I understand, any data that can not fit into the L1 cache get evicted to the L2 and stay there. Also what is the recommended cache algorithm for normal desktop / laptop. I currently using LFU-R. That seem to be default one.

Also I found out that improper shutdown will clear out the L2 cache. This behavior I think is normal of any caching software due incomplete syncing / preventive measure to get a clean state at next caching phase.
snazy2000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snazy2000 »

The speed difference is amazing!

Before update (FancyCache)

After Update (PrimoCache)

minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Just order two el cheapo Adata Permier Pro 64GB and two OCZ Vector 128GB. Will test them with Primocache once I get them.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

@Support,

I just install Primocache on my workstation, it crash my computer as soon as I enable any type of cache. Doesn't matter if it is read, write, or both. My raid 10 is basic, GPT, and UEFI on Windows 8 x64. I am guessing that these setting are not support yet.
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Incriminated »

What happened to...
..."Release After Write"-option?
..."Overcome HDD C1 Issue"-option?
..."Averaging Write Amount"-option?
neof1z
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neof1z »

It wont even start on my system running win pro x64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IvRak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IvRak »

Hello.

My first post here :)

I have been using fancycache on my two systems for some time.

The systems are WinXp 32 bit and a Win7 64 bit.

It has worked fine, and even found and used the hidden memory on the XP system.

I saw the download link to Primocache in this thread and decided to try it.

On the Win7 64 bit system, it works, and seems to be faster than fancycache. Very easy to setup also.

Wondering about different block sizes for different HDD's though, is that something I should worry about? As it is now I share the cache between a SSD and a HDD, and the blocksize is 4kB. But ideally the blocksize for the HDD should be 16kB. Will this hinder performance much? The reading from the HDD seems very fast.

On the WinXP 32 bit, it does not work at all. It wont find the hidden memory, the icon for it is not active.
But worse still is that it wont allow me to setup a cache. When I use the add cache function, I can select the drives, but the next button is allways greyed out, and I cant get any further.
So for now on my XP system its a no-go.
I went back to Fancycache, and optimized my settings a bit, or at least think I did :)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@minhgi,

Thank you!

So you mean the volume to be cached, not the level-2 storage, right?
minhgi wrote:My raid 10 is basic, GPT, and UEFI on Windows 8 x64.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@IvRak,

Thanks! Invisible Memory feature is not enabled in this version. We'll enable it later.
However the "add cache" function shall work. Did you tick the checkbox next to the volumes?
IvRak wrote: On the WinXP 32 bit, it does not work at all. It wont find the hidden memory, the icon for it is not active.
But worse still is that it wont allow me to setup a cache. When I use the add cache function, I can select the drives, but the next button is allways greyed out, and I cant get any further.