Post by Nina »

Fantastic work @support! ..
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Next Version?

Post by Incriminated »

Your simply maxing out my joy.

Now please only make an option to fix store the MFT, so the filesystem is always snappy even when an HDD is in suspend :)
turkina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by turkina »

What is required for L2 cache? Can a partition on a SSD be used or must an entire disk be committed to L2 cache?

I have two SSDs installed on a Windows 2012 server each with a 60GB partition mirrored as the C: drive then 173GB of open space after that. If I create a volume with the 173GB of free space and attempt to add it as L2 cache I get the error "failed to format this volume to the level-2 storage!"
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

@Turikina,

My SSD was partition with 16GB of space out of the 60GB. But first I formatted the 16GB partition in NTFS with Windows Disk Manager. After that, formatted it again with Primocache. That should work and good luck.

I can't wait to test it on my home built workstation. I need to buy two OCZ Vector first and connect it to my raid controller. Put them on Raid 0 with fastpath.

Fancycache was just fancy but Primocache is Primo Uno.
turkina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by turkina »

minhgi wrote:@Turikina,

My SSD was partition with 16GB of space out of the 60GB. But first I formatted the 16GB partition in NTFS with Windows Disk Manager. After that, formatted it again with Primocache. That should work and good luck.

I can't wait to test it on my home built workstation. I need to buy two OCZ Vector first and connect it to my raid controller. Put them on Raid 0 with fastpath.

Fancycache was just fancy but Primocache is Primo Uno.
That's what I did, too.

It must not be working since my SSDs are Dynamic disks in Windows, not basic disks, since I have the C: partition mirrored across both SSDs. I'll try plugging in another SSD and test.

EDIT: That was the problem. I broke my mirror and converted one disk back to a Basic Disk, created a partition, and could successfully add it as L2 cache.

SSDs designated as Dynamic Disks in Windows do not work as L2 cache.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

So no dynamic disk. Good fine.

Just want to report in that I did a 4 hours stress test with L1 / L2 enable on my laptop. It seem to be very stable. Sleep and hibernation works as normal and no slow down like some have reported with version .80.

Some data verse other cache software with persistent L2 cache -

Primocache v.90: 25 seconds boot up and 95 cache hit
Expresscache v1.86: 32 seconds boot up and 65 cache hit
Dataplex 1.30: 28 seconds boot up and 87 cache hit

This is my own personal testing using my Lenovo Thinkpad

Damn...this is bad ass software. It was worth the one year wait. LOL. no joke.
turkina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by turkina »

minhgi wrote:So no dynamic disk. Good fine.

Just want to report in that I did a 4 hours stress test with L1 / L2 enable on my laptop. It seem to be very stable. Sleep and hibernation works as normal and no slow down like some have reported with version .80.

Some data verse other cache software with persistent L2 cache -

Primocache v.90: 25 seconds boot up and 95 cache hit
Expresscache v1.86: 32 seconds boot up and 65 cache hit
Dataplex 1.30: 28 seconds boot up and 87 cache hit

This is my own personal testing using my Lenovo Thinkpad

Damn...this is bad ass software. It was worth the one year wait. LOL. no joke.
I'm running several virtual machines and have configured PrimoCache with 20GB of L1 and 220GB of L2 cache. After an hour there's still only about 2.5GB of L1 in use and 0GB of L2.

Hopefully the cache heats up and improves.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

I think your L1 cache is very large. It going to take hours to fill up before data spill over too the L2. Also I would recommend to start each of the VM 3 times minimum. I think the L2 use hot data before it start to cache.

For my laptop to reach 95% hit rate, I reboot my computer 5 times and my L1 cache is only 1GB.
turkina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by turkina »

Or I can just Storage VMotion some VMs between datastores and watch the cache fill up! :twisted:
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

I am jealous.

I have two days off due to a doctor appoint today and a dental tommorrow.
Today is the doctor and primocache came out. It just make my day.

Tommorrow is the dentist, I get to play with L2ARC ZFS persistent cache for openindian / illumos afterward.

All of these funs apply to work of course. Do mix toys with work. Who said we can't.