Fancycache vs turning off HDD Caching

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Einhander
Level 1
Level 1

Fancycache vs turning off HDD Caching

Post by Einhander »

Hi, I was wondering if there would be a speed difference between using fancycache and just turning off HDD page caching altogether? If so, how much?

I have 24gb of ddr3 ram right now and even running multiple games/movies I never go over 50% usage. I was thinking about making a ramdisk to increase my speeds further, although TBH I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make. Any advice?

Thanks
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Fancycache vs turning off HDD Caching

Post by dustyny »

Do not turn off your windows paging! The page.sys is a vital part of your memory management system and if you disable it, you will actually degrade system performance and reduce system stability. Fancycache doesn't replace any caching mechanisms in the system it works in conjunction with them.

Movies won't see any increase in performance, they stream at just a few MB at a time. Games is a hit or miss problem, it all depends on how the game was written and how often it reuses the same assets. Meaning if you often load up the same textures and scenes that will be cacheable (caching is most productive when the data is accessed multiple times).

Keep in mind that drive access is only one part of the equation, your system still needs to process it. You may have a long loading time for a game but only a small amount of data was read off the drive, often times the wait is really your system processing data.

I'd suggest spending some time reading the forum, there is a lot of good info here that will help you better understand how the product works.