Caching and YouTube performance

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Ethaniel
Level 1
Level 1

Caching and YouTube performance

Post by Ethaniel »

Before all, greetings. :)

I've been trying FancyCache Disk for a few hours. The benchmark results are spectacular and I can clearly notice a speed improvement across the system. The only thing is, I'm having some issues with 1080p HD videos from YouTube. Looks like this kind of content can devour the assigned cache, I'm having the occasional pop/click and a lot of dropped frames. I'm thinking about increasing the cache to 1.5 or 2 GB and return to default config (LFU-R, 128k blocks) but, any suggestions about how to improve this are most welcome. There's a lot of deferred writes and the read hit rate is low so, I guess I'm doing something wrong here.
Attachments
FC.jpg
FC.jpg (151.91 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Caching and YouTube performance

Post by Manny »

It may be because of flash player. Disable FC and try if problem is solved. If so, then do the post in BUG section. If problem stays, then google about flash player issue with your browser. I know about such in Chrome for sure.
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Caching and YouTube performance

Post by dustyny »

My guess is that 8k block is causing your issue.. Run ATTO disk benchmark and you'll see just how slow your drive performs with such a small block size. Larger block sizes will give you better performance but that doesn't mean the biggest block size is the best for your particular hardware and config.

Imagine your friend sends you 100 texts trying to plan a party that will be much slower for you to process then if they sent you one big email. Same with disks.. The smaller the write the more overhead you'll experience

Here's how you tune.. Turn Fancycache off run ATTO on the drive and save that as your baseline. Turn on Fancycache run ATTO again save that as your first result, change the Fancycache config benchmark again and do that until you see transfer rates that you like. Don't fall in to the fastest speed trap though, most writes to disk are very small so you want to optimize for them not large transfers.