need some help ran into issues

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
winterlove
Level 1
Level 1

need some help ran into issues

Post by winterlove »

im really interested in using Fancy Cache, but I had some problems and not sure if it was fancy cache or, I did about the same time just put in a new motherboard without re-installing. and then installed fancy cahce not sure what caused the major issues I was having but I eventualy had no choice but to completely back things up and re-install windows.

theres a good chance fancy cache wasn't the cause but I don't want to really find out the hard way have to re-install again so is there any insight on this from someone who has used it?

all im tryin to do for now is use it to cache files for one game called guildwars 2 I don't play many video games so just one all I need.
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Re: need some help ran into issues

Post by Manny »

1) this software can;t cache single folder or custom set of files - it caches whole drive or partition
2) FC is pretty stable software, so far i havn't seen it can kill totally windows, use search on forum for similar topics, maybe you can find someone else with same problem
3) changing motherboard without reinstalling usually cause BSOD's, google how to avoid that, in general you need to delete all specific drivers before doing that, especially IDE controller
4) do not disable system protection before installing FC, it will allow you in many cases to revert to working system in case of problems
5) using Deferred Writes can cause critical faults on hdd, in some cases, for example when pc reboots or hangs and some data still in buffer
6) in general it is not recommended to use FC on overclocked pc even in Read-only mode
winterlove
Level 1
Level 1

Post by winterlove »

ok, so am wondering because the one thing you said wasn't very clear. it can or it cant? cach a folder. I have 3GB of ram to allocate to fancy cache for my game guild wars2 wich itself is a 15.6gb file. I also have a kingstone ssd was wondering if 3gb would be enough to boost the games performance when loading a map or something cause I change maps frequently and back
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Manny »

winterlove wrote:ok, so am wondering because the one thing you said wasn't very clear. it can or it cant? cach a folder.
No, it can not cache separate folder, only whole volume or drive.
winterlove wrote:I have 3GB of ram to allocate to fancy cache for my game guild wars2 wich itself is a 15.6gb file. I also have a kingstone ssd was wondering if 3gb would be enough to boost the games performance when loading a map or something cause I change maps frequently and back
It depends... Try and post results here.