FancyCache Startup Control With Windows 7

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
RRTRACKS
Level 4
Level 4

FancyCache Startup Control With Windows 7

Post by RRTRACKS »

The Window’s startup options provided by Fancycache are not clear if at all available.

Once installed does Fancycache always run with a system boot?

Is there any way to set/change startup settings Windows has for Fancycache within any of its menus? If not are there any other options?

Is there any easy way of telling if Fancycache is running or any type of on/off control for Fancycache with Windows 7?

Thank you,

Rich Pasma
Upland, CA
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Re: FancyCache Startup Control With Windows 7

Post by dustyny »

Well the easiest way to turn it off or on is just to stop caching.. You'll see the resources free up in the resource monitor.

I'm using F.C on a server so I don't have access but generally msconfig is where you'd look to see what's starting up (don't use it to disable services though unless you know what your doing).
RRTRACKS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RRTRACKS »

Dustyny,

Thank you for the reply to what was a dumb question.

What had me confused is immediately after booting up my computer, Fancycache is listed neither as a service nor a process, at least by anything resembling its name.

The suggestion you provided about stopping the caching and monitoring of system resources was something I should have done before placing the post above. This confirms Fancycache starts with the boot, and provides an obvious way of stopping its operations while restoring virtually all of the resources the program reserves.

Having the option of having FancyCache start with Windows is not important from my perspective; but seems like “A standard way of doing things” option. Stopping the caching on all the drives you have is not going to completely remove the program from the current operating system environment, but in theory stop it from doing anything. With the way FancyCache is currently configured, the only way to test for a conflict with another program or process for sure, would be to uninstall FancyCache and reboot the computer.

All the Best,
Rich
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

No problemo..

I'm not very familiar with F.C's architecture but my best guess is that it works on the driver level. So it wouldn't be something that shows up as a service or process. I'd suggest using system restore for testing, it's overlooked a lot but it's a fantastic tool. I always take a snapshot before I install something potentially disruptive (such as F.C), that way you can just step back if it causes issues.
RRTRACKS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RRTRACKS »

Thank you for your comments and the tip on setting restore points. Using restore points would certainly be easier than uninstalling and reinstalling programs. I just set a restore point on my computer and it only took about 15 seconds to create. In case anyone might be interested, the location of the Restore Point Menu options has been moved from the Help Menu location in XP to the System Menu in Windows 7. The easiest way to get to the System Menu is to press key combination of the Windows Key + Pause Key. From there, click on the System Protection Menu option in the left column to get to the Restore Options.

Rich