Newbie Trying to Set Up Cache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
w0rdOo
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie Trying to Set Up Cache

Post by w0rdOo »

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums here, but I did try fancycache a couple months ago.

I was actually seeing a decrease in performance after setting up a RAM cache for my HDDs so I gave up on the software, but I'm back again to try it out another time since I had no idea what I was doing when setting up the cache the first time.

First, I'll start off with some of my specs/hardware config:

AMD FX-6200
32 GB RAM @ 1944 MHz (purchased that much RAM with the plan of using a RAM cache +I was trying to future proof my system a little bit :D )
1 TB 7200 RPM drive, 6Gb/s, 100 GB C: system partition, 781 GB partition used for Program Files (i.e all games/software installed on that partition)
500 GB 7200 RPM drive, 3Gb/s, drive used only for music/videos/images/downloading
Running on Windows 7 64bit

I use this rig for two things: gaming and streaming movies to a TV via PS3

I would like some detailed help on setting up FancyCache to optimize my 1 TB for gaming and my 500 GB for downloading/streaming data. I would also like to know whether FancyCache for Disk or FancyCache for Partitions is the better option, since I want set up a large cache for each partition/drive anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! If there's any important information I left out about my system please let me know and I can add it in.
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Newbie Trying to Set Up Cache

Post by dustyny »

Sorry but your question is really to vague to answer. There isn't anyway for anyone to look at your specs and tell you what the right settings for you will be. Not to be a jerk but my advice is read through the forums and get a better understand of what F.C is, what the settings actually do and how people have gone about testing it. I've posted a lot of information so feel free to search by my name, hopefully that will give you a good start.

good luck and if you have some specific questions that haven't already been answered in the forum please post them and we'll see about getting you some better answers..