How does it work after reboot?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
d3vilsadvocate
Level 1
Level 1

How does it work after reboot?

Post by d3vilsadvocate »

I'm wondering how FC works after a reboot.

I understand that L1 (=Ram?) is wiped upon a reboot and has to be rebuilt. But is this done automatically once the program has been started? Will FC start shuffeling data into RAM that has been marked before as being frequently used?

How about L2 Cache (SSD in my case), how does that behave? I can see a fcvcachec559.sys container file on my SSD cache disk, but how does this behave? Is this fully wiped after a reboot? On the FAQ page it says that Level 2 cache is wiped after a reboot, which seems silly. But does that mean that the file contents marked as cached will have to be copied on the SSD when I boot the system? Or does the cache on the SSD disk in fact persist and I can profit from the performance gain immediately after booting a system?

Thanks for any answer in advance!
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How does it work after reboot?

Post by Manny »

Yes it wipes. Yes. No.

We have what we have :) Maybe it would be persistent in next version.
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

On the FAQ page it says that Level 2 cache is wiped after a reboot, which seems silly.
We'll keep in mind that sometimes very simple things are very challenging technical challenges. In this instance if your L2 cache is out of date with your storage device then you could end up with some really nasty data corruption.

For example lets say you have FC running on a external hard drive, you shutdown you machine and you move that drive to another computer where you make changes to the file. Now you bring it back to your original computer, the L2 cache will have out of date data.

That said the developers have acknowledged our requests for persistent data, so hopefully in a future release we'll see this feature.. =)
Boulard83
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Boulard83 »

Id love to see the cache remain after a reboot. Im using 8gb from my 16gb as cache but im the kind of user who shut my PC when im not using it.
bilbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bilbo »

Will hibernating keep the read cache on an L2 ssd setup? I use the read-only strategy with the LBW L2 option as my ssd (Patriot PS-100 32GB ATA) dosen't get very fast writes but the reads arent bad.
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

bilbo wrote:Will hibernating keep the read cache on an L2 ssd setup? I use the read-only strategy with the LBW L2 option as my ssd (Patriot PS-100 32GB ATA) dosen't get very fast writes but the reads arent bad.
My guess is it's probably not a good idea but if you're feeling brave you can do some testing. Hopefully you're not running your OS on that 32GB SSD or I'd say don't bother you don't have enough storage space to use hibernate.

Here's how I'd test it (safely):
I'd create a VHD on the drive in question, attach it to the system and put some data on it (say a game).
Enable Fancycache only on the attached VHD, run the game for a while until you see it getting a nice read rate and then hibernate your system.
Take it out of hibernation and play the game and see if you still get the same hit rate.
If it hoses the disk, you damaged the VHD and not any of your real data..
TELVM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TELVM »

If you want to keep FancyCache alive, instead of traditional switching off (ACPI G2 · S5) you can use SUSPEND TO RAM (ACPI G1 · S3 STR), works like a charm.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pow ... 066-4.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_C ... _Interface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_mode