Raid 0 SSD - Will Fancycache still improve performance ?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Boulard83
Level 2
Level 2

Raid 0 SSD - Will Fancycache still improve performance ?

Post by Boulard83 »

Hi guyz, Im new to this forum and im in the proces of installing FancyCache to my system, mostly for fun and to play with it but also to see if it can boost its performance even more ! :)

Overall system spec :
EVGA X79 FTW • I7 3820 @ 4.2ghz
16gb G.Skill 2133mhz
EVGA GTX 670 + Accelero TTII
Raid 0 Agility 4 256gb x2

My idea was to install a 6 or 8gb fancycache disk that the system can use as cache from the memory but is windows not supposed to already use the ram as cache since i have lots of ram ? Or Fancycache will do a better cache utilisation ?

Thanks for helping me and feel free to make any suggestion.
Boulard83
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Raid 0 SSD - Will Fancycache still improve performance ?

Post by Boulard83 »

Anvil seems to like this alot !
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

Sorry but you're question is a little vague..

A lot of people get confused by the numerous caches and what they do.. Here's the quick answer, yes fancycache will help, it works in conjunction with the caching mechanisms already built in to windows. Will it help for you, that depends on what you are doing and the programs you are running (only you can figure that out though).

You'll get a bit of a bump in speed from the RAM caching but it's not going to be that noticeable since you're already pulling data off your drives quickly (around 800MBs). If things are loading slowly, you either have a issue with your computer (SW or HW) or the program in question just can't process the data it reads fast enough.
Boulard83
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Boulard83 »

Thanks for your answer. I dont currently have data read issue. I wanted to try fancy cache and wanted to ask if there are real benefit from using it with my rig.

As for now, i installed it with 6gb at first and then moved to 8gb allocated to fancycache. It gives me 8gb for windows and 8gb for caching. I dont really use memory/ssd hungry progs but i do some gaming and alot of web browsing. Some photo editing and occasionnaly video editing. I tryed a few games like BF3 and Xcom, my loadings are alreayd very fast so its hard to tell if the games take advantage from fancycache after a few loading.

It run, gave me good numbers in anvil and seems to use a good part of my useless 16gb of Ram that windows dont know what to do with !
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Post by dustyny »

To be honest you might just be adding complexity for no real gain. As for the RAM, it's best to think of it as extending the useful life of the PC. As time goes by apps get bigger and more RAM hungry. ;)
Boulard83
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Boulard83 »

Ill see if i notice any bebenift in the next weeks.

Thanks for your answer.