Problems activating L2 Cache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
AdamColliss
Level 1
Level 1

Problems activating L2 Cache

Post by AdamColliss »

Hi

I have configured FancyCache to use my 32gb mSATA SSD as a L2 Cache (which has a Windows drive letter and is currently holding a 8gb swap file). Enable Level-2 Cache is checked under configuration and the SSD/Flash/Other Drive is set to the correct drive letter for the SSD, yet under the Status panel the L2 Cache is shown as disabled? I've tried rebooting, configuring caching again etc but nothing seems to enable the L2 cache. Are there any special requirements to use a drive for L2 caching (i.e. GPT, NTFS etc)?

Thanks
Adam
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Problems activating L2 Cache

Post by Support »

Maybe the block size is too small which cause a lot of additional overhead memory and the system has no enough memory to start up L2 cache.
You may try a bigger block size.
liverwort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by liverwort »

I'm trying to use a 32GB SDHC Class 10 Card (formated with a single exFAT Partition)
as the Level II Cache with FancyCache for my C: 920GB Hard Drive NTFS
No such luck at all. disabled Readyboost for SDHC card drive then enabled that drive as the Level II Cache. Tried several reboots. Always shows disabled.
I was able to use it with Windows 7 64bit Readyboost with no problems
Found this software as a suggested alternate to Microsoft's Readyboost. Am I misreading the intended purpose of "Level II Cache?"
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Manny »

ReadyBoost is persistent, as I understood FancyCache is not. Mean it clears each reboot.
Also read operations can slow down to the write speed of L2 cache drive.
On my system if I enable l2 cache of usb2.0 flash drive (Corsair Voyager GT) media player start bumbling and flash drive blinks all the time.
The other moment that huge l2 cache is useless on drives with low linear read speed (<150 mb\s). So it can be used only with SSD drives, as an alternative of hybrid drives.
If you have enough ram(>4Gb) then use l1 cache, if you have less then 1 Gb of ram then use ReadyBoost. If you have 1-3 Gb - don't use anything.