How big can L2 cache be?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
kalua
Level 4
Level 4

How big can L2 cache be?

Post by kalua »

How big can L2 cache be?

I am looking at a RAID0 array of SSDs (4x32GB) so it will be 128GB. I'd like to use at least 64GB of that for L2 cache in FC. Possible?
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How big can L2 cache be?

Post by Mradr »

It can be as big as you want. Raid 0 SSD huh? That has to overflow the data link xD What is is at ? 500? 1GB?

The only issue atm is a small bug that will cause it to also eat up your ram at the same time when setting up the L2 cache. I hate to say it, but you will end up having to stop the cache once in a while to clear up the bug issue. You will also end up lossing the cache also meaning that you will have to rebuild it again sadly=/

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1215
Issue number 2.
kalua
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kalua »

I have 4 Corsair Force Series 3 180GB SSDs in a RAID-0 array with 4GB of hardware cache on an Areca controller.

I add and then manipulate large datasets in MySQL. The MySQL databases are on the RAID array, but I have a 4TB drive with a lot of other data that is too big for the RAID array. Most of those datasets are between 60 to 120GB, so if I could use FC with a 200GB L2 cache pointing to the RAID array, whenever I need to massage say a 100GB dataset from the 4TB single drive, after it is read in the first pass, it will be in the FC l2 cache.

In the past, I would copy the dataset I was going to work on from the 4TB to the RAID array, and then do the massaging, and copy it back to the 4TB data drive when done. FC would be a better way to di it if it can handle a l2 cache of 200GB.
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mradr »

Um, maybe I misread something, but it sound like you are wanting to write at the given data size :?:

If so, FC only does reads atm with L2.
See #4 viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1215 and post a comment if you are wanting something like that.

Other wise you should be good actully ^^ FC's read perty much does it on the first try, hell I swear it does it even before the first time, lol. And yes it should be able to handle a cache size of 200Gb, but take my warning at heart and should be good ^^

If anything, please post in that topic so we can get more detail feed back on what you all want to see. I am baseing the requested features on user's use/needs.