FC-D slowes down system after a while

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
thomas
Level 3
Level 3

FC-D slowes down system after a while

Post by thomas »

hi there,

i use fc-d with a 32gb cache on ssd. when l2-cache is free all works fine. when it's full, system gets slower and slower after some time. then i have to stop caching and restart it to fix this.
i don't think that this is the goal of a cache :/

what do you mean?

fc-d 7.2, win64, 2g l1 defer 60sec, l2 53gd ssd
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: FC-D slowes down system after a while

Post by Support »

Currently I think you may disable L2 caching. We are considering new designs for L1/L2 caching mechanism.
Thanks.
thomas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thomas »

thanks for the hint.

it seems to me that much unnessesary things are cached - like converting videos the files are cached (for one use) or copying or defragmentating or anything else like that. then l2 cache is full somewhen. and when i play a game and really would need the cache, there is no real speed win.
maybe i would be good if the file is not cache for first access, but for second or third. but i'm not a professional ;)

regards
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Had you check to see if your SSD L2 is taking up all your free memory. There is a know problem with that. If you do not have any more free memory, your OS is paging to the hard drive.

Check your memory in the task manager after you notice the slow down.
thomas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thomas »

thanks for your answer. you mean my "normal" memory or the l2-free-bytes? the l2-free-bytes is going from 32gigs down to 0 after some time. but this should'nd be the problem i think.
i check it with the "normal" memory....
thomas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thomas »

i saw - the "problem" with the low memory. fc isn't in my taskmanager visable (whats the name of the process?) - but an other task took lots of memory so windows paging is used a lot.
l2 is disabled at the moment because i wan't to see if fc (l1) is really a speedup or just slows down the system under some circumstances.

if during the slowdown (e.g. paging) fc caches the pagefile isn't this as loop down?
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

For whatever reason if the SSD L2 assign a number of Gigabtye, then that much will be taken up by ram. Just a bug. I hope that can be iron with the next version. Supposely with L2 SSD persistence cache included. My last laptop never have this problem.

I am really looking forward to the next release

=)