FC and superfetch/readyboost

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
motoleon
Level 2
Level 2

FC and superfetch/readyboost

Post by motoleon »

Hi, my laptop is 8 Gbyte ram. I probe ram used and responsiveness by superfetch under certain conditions, and FC, under windows 7 64bit.

FancyCache with 2G ram, 30sec write.

The result is:

superfetch on, FC on: the best combination, more responsiveness, but more memory used...
superfetch off, FC on: boot slow, first application launch slow (ie, word, etc), second launch fast (FC is working), overall speed normal...
superfetch on, FC off: speed normal, default windows 7 without FC...
superfetch off, FC off: boot slow, launch apps slow, no operative...

superfetch has do good work in windows 7, but it preloads files into main memory, sometimes innecesary. I recommend to let it do its work, and not to disable it. Perhaps in windows 8 only preloads the necesary files, but i don´t know.

Readyboost really not improve speed nor responsiveness in systems with >2Gbyte ram. I proved that too, and sometimes it slow down speed due to flash memory speed.

Salu2.
CosminNet
Level 2
Level 2

Re: FC and superfetch/readyboost

Post by CosminNet »

to me superfecth works quite ok, a lot better than it did on xp (xp had caching but was not named anyway). the only gripe i have with superfecth is that it is too conservative with write caching. don't not get me wrong... this is as it should be, but i would be really cool to be able to have deffered writes on some folders/files.
win 7 seems more responsive if you have plenty of ram and warm it up, even when having a dog slow hdd. i'm talking about the after warm up experience as to me this is the one that matters. it makes me a lot more happy to have a responsive app when using it, then shaving 15sec of boot time or 5 sec on first app load.
in my opinion superfecth does a great job on read caching but it's really conservative with writes. here comes superfecth and solves the write caching thing. i personally use it for the "working drive" with write caching only. i set it to use 200megs for writes only, 20sec write delay and release after write. i use the last option as i see it more useful to have as much of the 200megs of buffer available when bursty writes occur. using it allows me to use little ram and let superfetch do it's read caching on as much mem as possible.
Violator
Level 5
Level 5

Re: FC and superfetch/readyboost

Post by Violator »

I wonder why it boots slow for you with Superfetch off, must be the HDD that is slow.
Did you measure your full boot cycles with a batch file or an app?
I got FancyCache enabled with a 1GB read/write cache for my OS SSD, ReadyBoot, ReadyBoost, Prefetch and Superfetch are all turned off, in addition to having no paging file what so ever.
17.2 seconds boot time (full cycle) is pretty good witha 2nd gen SSD, actually, FC doesn't affect my boottime at all.