Ram usage

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Ram usage

Post by Support »

Hi minhgi,

I am sorry that I forgot to reply this topic. We checked the issue you mentioned. However we cannot reproduce it. The "Available Physical Memory" in the Performance tab of Windows Task Manger is correct.

PS. I don't think version 0.8.0 has any changes on this issue...
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

That is weird. But anyway, v.7.0 - v.7.2 will eat up all my free ram and Diskeeper would not release the ram once its finish defragmenting.

I just happy that v.8 have a different behavior. What ever was change in the code does the trick.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Ok, anyway, thank you for your information.
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mradr »

It's not fixed... I dont think this guy knows what he's talking about O.o; The ram usage still creeps up after a while.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Mradr,

Can you elaborate on what you just said? My system is different from yours and naturally will behave differently. I use Diskeeper 2011 with Fancycache. So tell me what is your system configuration is like?
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mradr »

minhgi,

I just got my networking degree... I know the differents in enviroments, but this is a software issue not a hardware base one. Naturally, it wont matter as much on what software you use compare to what I use base on the fact that I run software does the same with a different name.

I did testing ^^ Anyways... my test came up to the fact that fancycache (over time) will creep on memory usage. Programs that access the disk a lot will speed up this proccess. What you saw was it speeding up this proccess... now that your program has been cache (or blocked or w/e fancycache is doing to determin what needs to be cache)... it will not as much. Hence why you see it not happening anymore or has been slow down but is still there.

Wait 4 days... check your ram... check you running programs to your ram usage... you'll notice the numbers do not add up. Keep task manager open to your ram... hit stop on your cache drive... you'll see a lot of ram free up (more than what you gived it in the first place).

Btw, sorry my last post seem a bit harsh. I did not mean that you did not know what you were talking about. I was just trying to say it was not as fixed as you was making it out to be.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

mradr,

I do know about the high ram issue when using Fancycache with some applications. Others had reported the same thing. In my case, I am targeting Diskeeper. It is the application that I use the most and hate it when it use all my free ram. Computer use different drivers and applications with background services can have an impact on the behavior of Fancycache.

If you have notice the high ram, Fancycache L1 cache ram usage is memory assign + 512MB (overhead) @ 4k and ram usage for L2 SSD cache equal to cache assign.
(2GB L1 + 512MB) + 8GB L2 = 10.5GB. There is a bug in the L2 where the assign cache is mirror in the ram and not getting release when use with some applications.

My previous laptop Dell E6420 does not have this problem. The only ram usage was the L1 cache.

After I had move to a Lenovo X220 then I see that bug. Somehow the drivers does not like Fancycache. Recent update to the drivers and version .8 of Fancycache had improve the high memory usage when using L2 SSD. Free physical memory had been minimum and release of free ram, after Diskeeper defrag finished, is noticeable on my laptop.

So my conclusion is that drivers and applications will affect the behavior of Fancycache caching system. This is what I observe with my laptop and not a rebudo again your opinion.

Anyway, let take the problems that you have with Fancycache and write it in the forum here so we can help the developer improve Fancycache. I see that you have written the most wanted features in the suggested forum and totally agree with you on that.

=)

update 05/09/2012 correction in red. I should have proof read.
Last edited by minhgi on Wed May 09, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by manus »

I confirm the memory leak in 8.0 (and 7.x) using SSD cache.
How to reproduce (my settings):
Block Size = 64KB
Cache Size L1 = 256MB
Algorithm = LFU-R
Enable Defer Write = Checked
Latency = 10 sec
Overcome HDD C1 Issue = Checked
Cache Size L2 at 4096MB
Algorithm = MBU
Start caching
Do a mass file compare ,I use Beyond Compare with Binary Mode (session settings/comparison/compare contents/binary comparison) to compare 3 folders (local and a remote computer) at the same time: Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Windows.
You will see the available memory decrease beyond the setting (256MB).
Stop caching it will free many more memory than 256MB.
It can completely take all RAM and freeze my computer (Dell E5420)
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

hello sparkler,

I can confirm with you on that.

Diskeeper will take up most of my ram when it defrag. As you can see from the disk activity tool with the monitoring gadget.

I will follow up with another screen shot when Diskeeper stop. Ram is free up afterward.
Diskeeper in autodefrag mode.png
Diskeeper in autodefrag mode.png (53.94 KiB) Viewed 6779 times