! SOLVED ! SSD Free Space Cleaner dies using FancyCache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Itsme
Level 2
Level 2

! SOLVED ! SSD Free Space Cleaner dies using FancyCache

Post by Itsme »

! PROBLEM SOLVED ! by selecting "Stop Caching" before running program!

Hi,

Like 73% of the world's computer users, I have XP (Pro SP3).

My boot drive is an SSD, even though XP has NO auto trim or garbage collection to restore the original speed. :-(

Luckily Microsoft's "AS Cleaner 0.5" also known as "FreeSpaceCleaner.exe" (2009 release ver 1.0.0.0) will perfectly trim my SSD (if I check the FF box) whenever I manually run it every week or so.

SADLY, after I installed FancyCache, I discovered that "AS Cleaner.exe" no longer works. It locks up my computer after a few seconds...so I must do a hard reboot.

After I uninstalled FC, then "AS Cleaner.exe" works again.

HELP... I must use both of these great programs. I ♥ them both!
Last edited by Itsme on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
fsommer1968
Level 4
Level 4

Re: SSD Free Space Cleaner dies using FancyCache

Post by fsommer1968 »

AS Cleaner is not a program issued by Microsoft. Did you already asked the author of the program?
Why didn´t you disable FC during the operation of AS Cleaner?
Itsme
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Itsme »

Thanks for your comments, YET the "AS Cleaner 0.5" program itself says Microsoft is the author in 2009.

I was once a Microsoft software engineer and still work on many XP computers so I may know something.

"AS Cleaner 0.5" is mostly famous among computer technicians who still use XP. Microsoft may want the 200 million users of XP (32 bit) to wrongly think that they must buy Win7 if they want to use SSD's.

In truth, "AS Cleaner 0.5" allows XP users to manually trim their SSD back to the original FAST performance. No other program is better. The key to success is to check the "FF" box so "1" (1 = erased for use without an erase cycle before write) is written to all the free Nand on the SSD.

You can still download "AS Cleaner 0.5" here for free:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum ... 1257418520

When you unzip the download, it titles itself "FreeSpaceCleaner.exe" and its "Properties, Version" tab says:
File version 1.0.0.0
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 2009

Of course, that may be the compiler specifications and not the actual program itself. To my knowledge, no company claims credit for creating "AS Cleaner 0.5" or "FreeSpaceCleaner.exe". Microsoft might be unfriendly towards that company.

Regarding your question, "Why didn´t you disable FC during the operation of AS Cleaner?"

I do not see any "disable" button or function. Where is it, please?

However, I did try all of the following: "Pause Caching" "Stop Caching" "Pause DeferWrite" and even "Exiting" the program entirely.

None of these prevent my computers from freezing (totally stopping) when I run "AS Cleaner 0.5" ("FreeSpaceCleaner.exe")

Currently , the only way I can run "FreeSpaceCleaner.exe" is to UNINSTALL FC entirely and reboot before running this great trim program.

Sadly, this means I must uninstall, reboot, then re-install and reboot every week or so in order to use FC.

So, again, HELP!

No one knows for sure, but I believe that the trim command in AS Cleaner 0.5 (FreeSpaceCleaner.exe) updates the nand bitmaps via the Windows System Cache so "1's" (= ready available) are registered.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi Itsme,

Thank you for your bug report!

We'll check this issue. Hope it can be fixed soon.
fsommer1968
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fsommer1968 »

HI,

if you want to try the latest Version (1.0 instead of 0.5) take the authors download link: http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads. ... load_id=10

On my machine, merely with Windows 7, Freespacecleaner 1.0 works without problems if FC is stopped. (I did not take a test with FC enabled).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: ! SOLVED ! SSD Free Space Cleaner dies using FancyCache

Post by Support »

I'm sorry that FancyCache has been replaced by PrimoCache. We don't support FancyCache any more. Please try PrimoCache.
Thank you!