VSuite Ramdisk Professional not saving?

Report bugs or suggestions around VSuite Ramdisk
MonkY
Level 2
Level 2

VSuite Ramdisk Professional not saving?

Post by MonkY »

Hello!

I've noticed lately some problems regarding VSuite Ramdisk Professional. To be more exact, i think it's not saving the ramdisk file correctly.
I am using 4GB RAM for a ramdisk that's mostly used for temporary files (Firefox cache mostly).
But, after restarting my PC, some files are simply not where they are supposed to be on the ramdisk.

I will attach a screenshot with my settings. For a while i've used "Timed save", but i noticed a slowdown when that happened. It's also strange i can't enable Quick Save Module...
Maybe you can recommend me the best way for such a big ramdisk, so that i wouldn't kill my HDD with saving in realtime and also not lose files after reboot.

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
2011-10-03_125014.png
2011-10-03_125014.png (49.5 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: VSuite Ramdisk Professional not saving?

Post by Support »

Hi MonkY,
MonkY wrote:after restarting my PC, some files are simply not where they are supposed to be on the ramdisk.
Are you sure that the "lost" files are not those temperoary files? Could you give us more details on this issue? Thanks.

When using "Smart Mirror", the quick save mode is automatically enabled by force.

Usually I would recommend "Direct Mirror" with "Quick Save" mode enabled. BTW, if you only place temporary files on the ramdisk, then it may not need to enable the image file.
MonkY
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MonkY »

support wrote:Hi MonkY,
Are you sure that the "lost" files are not those temperoary files? Could you give us more details on this issue? Thanks.
Hi support!
No, i am not only using it for temporary files. I also have work files (for Photoshop and Dreamweaver) that i lose randomly lately.
support wrote:When using "Smart Mirror", the quick save mode is automatically enabled by force.

Usually I would recommend "Direct Mirror" with "Quick Save" mode enabled. BTW, if you only place temporary files on the ramdisk, then it may not need to enable the image file.
So you would recomend me to use the Direct Mirror with Quick Save? In that mode, will it always start and save the whole 4GB ramdrive, or it will only save what's changed? Because i also want to limit the writing on the HDD.

Thank you!
MonkY
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MonkY »

I was asking the question above (regarding Direct Mirror + Quick Save) because i don't understand what's coming out of this:

Direct Mirror: The image file is a full mirror of the ramdisk
Quick Save Mode: If ticked, only new data will be updated to the image file. It skips unchanged data and reduces writing time of image file

So Direct Mirror + Quick Save Mode = Full mirror or only new data will be updated? :mrgreen:

I've also noticed that when i select Direct Mirror, the Quick Save Mode is disabled... i can't select it. So i don't really understand if it will mirror the whole ramdisk or only what's changed...
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

With Quick Save mode, it only write dirty data to the image file. At the initial stage, it may take some time to create the whole image file, but later it only trace the dirty data.