Setup the pagefile in ramdisk under WinXP professional SP3

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
ramdiskyokim825
Level 3
Level 3

Setup the pagefile in ramdisk under WinXP professional SP3

Post by ramdiskyokim825 »

I'm the official registered user of standard edition 4.6.3531.1240 and some questions to setup the pagefile in individual ramdisk as following: Thank you for reply in advance.
(1).What's the meaning of "Disable NTFS Indexing Service" ? Do I need to enable this buttom of "Disable NTFS Indexing Service" in the File System Advaced Setting page when the file system was chosen by NTFS ?
(2).Regarding pagefile in the ramdisk only(indivisual ramdisk driver), how can I setup the pagefile in ramdisk only ?
Currently I setup two ramdisks P & R drivers in my WinXP32 pro. SP3 Notebook(total 2GB system DRAM) as following:
Ramdisk1=> P:384MB NTFS with [Dynamic RAM Allocation] enable and without [enable NTFS compression] enable for windows pagefile only. Pagefile setting: @P: 250MB(min.)~375MB(max.), @Hard-disk driver S:20MB~1024MB(pagefile only in indivisual HDD with total 3GB NTFS format).
Ramdisk2=> R:512MB NTFS with [enable NTFS compression] enable and [Dynamic RAM Allocation] enable for Windows user TEMP & TMP, system TEMP & TMP and Browsers Chrome11; Firefox4; Opera11; IE8 both cache files under R:/TEMP directory seperately for each TEMP file and Cache file.

My purpose try to use ramdisk pagefile fully and backup Hard-disk pagefile(min. useage 20MB) for optimal system performance.

I have very limit system RAM(2GB DRAM) and HDD driver(160GB for C: D: E: F: and S:), and try to optimal my NB resource using your product VSuite Ramdisk after my survey. I don't want to setup the pagefile in HDD drivers C: (for WinXP system) and D: (for application software), E: (for Linux OS and backup), F: (for my data files).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Setup the pagefile in ramdisk under WinXP professional S

Post by Support »

Hi,

Regarding the "NTFS indexing", pls see below figure.
NTFS indexing.png
NTFS indexing.png (64.92 KiB) Viewed 12684 times
(Windows Explorer->Right click on the drive->Property->General)
This is a feature from NTFS file system.

From Mitch Tulloch (http://oreilly.com/pub/a/windows/2005/0 ... Hacks.html)
"Whether you enable or disable the Indexing Service on Windows XP depends on your needs. If you search for files on your hard drive only rarely, it's probably best to leave Indexing turned off, since it adds a slight overhead to NTFS operation and also uses up disk space to store the catalog. But if you search for files on your hard drive frequently (and need to search the contents of files as well) then turn Indexing on, as it will speed the search process considerably. "
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Setup the pagefile in ramdisk under WinXP professional S

Post by Support »

Regarding the pagefile settings, please refer to
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=549&start=10