Suggestion needed :)

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
parafernalia
Level 1
Level 1

Suggestion needed :)

Post by parafernalia »

Hello :)

I started using this software few days ago and it seems to help. Only thing is i dont know much about this matter and how to set it up properly. I'm absolutely no noob, but this is a bit too much.

I would like some basic advice about how to configure te program for good results. (not searching for absolute max results, im not a real tweaker)

My pc: https://gyazo.com/729299a9102cebd50704fd255e3edbfe
Now with 2 SSD's.

SSD1 240 gb: Win 10 and my fav game
Rest of game on D:, but this is not so important.
SSD2 40gb: Not really in use, besides some Temp files en Second Life cache.

Anyone an idea?
Thanks in advance!
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Suggestion needed :)

Post by Jaga »

You don't have a lot of RAM right now, so setting up a L1 cache might not be possible.

If both drives installed are SSDs and you don't have any older spindle drives you want to cache, then a L2 cache isn't necessary.

L1 caches are in RAM, usually need more memory to do their jobs better, and give the best boost in caching speeds. L2 caches are on SSDs (or NVMEs), don't need memory, give decent boosts in caching speeds, but should not be used to cache *other* SSDs. You'd never cache a SSD onto another one - there would be speed loss.

How much memory out of your 8gb do you need for Windows/apps/games to run? You might be able to give 2gb to a L1, which would help a tiny bit. But if you really wanted to see speed gains using Primocache, you would get more system RAM (maybe even max it out), and then give the extra to Primocache to use with a larger L1 cache. Your motherboard can handle up to 24gb total.
parafernalia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by parafernalia »

Jaga wrote:You don't have a lot of RAM right now, so setting up a L1 cache might not be possible.

If both drives installed are SSDs and you don't have any older spindle drives you want to cache, then a L2 cache isn't necessary.

L1 caches are in RAM, usually need more memory to do their jobs better, and give the best boost in caching speeds. L2 caches are on SSDs (or NVMEs), don't need memory, give decent boosts in caching speeds, but should not be used to cache *other* SSDs. You'd never cache a SSD onto another one - there would be speed loss.

How much memory out of your 8gb do you need for Windows/apps/games to run? You might be able to give 2gb to a L1, which would help a tiny bit. But if you really wanted to see speed gains using Primocache, you would get more system RAM (maybe even max it out), and then give the extra to Primocache to use with a larger L1 cache. Your motherboard can handle up to 24gb total.
i have 2 HDD's, 1 of them could be cached

But how do i set this up? Make cache on SSD or HDD?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

You would want to make a L2 cache on your SSD (in unreserved, unformatted space on that drive) for Primocache to use.

Manage L2 storage

That will show you how to setup space for your L2 cache on a SSD. Note: the SSD needs free, unprovisioned space available. If it already is formatted with all space given to drives, you'll need to 'shrink a volume' using Window's tools. EaseUS has a nice page on it, along with an optional free tool in case the tools with Windows won't work.

Shrink a Windows 10 partition

Depending on the size of the SSD and how much space you want to give Primocache as the L2, you simply shrink the partition by that much, and leave the rest at the end of the drive unformatted.

Primocache - add new cache instructions.

When you get to Step 3 on that page, you only want to use the L2 feature in Primocache, and give it the L2 space you setup when you Managed the L2 storage for Primo.

To sum up: if no unformatted SSD space, shrink volume. When free unformatted space is available, Manage L2 storage in Primocache to provision your L2. Then setup a new Primocache Cache Task and specify L2, then point it at your new L2 storage space.
parafernalia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by parafernalia »

Do i put it on my Windows SSD or the secondary SSD?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Whichever is faster. Normally you'd want it on the secondary SSD, assuming that the primary Windows SSD was busy with other tasks most of the time.
parafernalia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by parafernalia »

ok...well primary is faster because its on sata6 and secondary on sata3
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Sata 3/6 should be the same interface. Yeah, keep a ssd dedicate just for HHD caching so it won't interfere performance during heavy load. I learnt the hard way sharing system drive with Primocache.