Deferred Writes - Power Loss + this is awesome.

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
S3thc0n
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Deferred Writes - Power Loss + this is awesome.

Post by S3thc0n »

As a long time PrimoCache user, I was very excited when I saw Defer-Write had become an option for level 2 storage. I was disappointed in equal measures to find out that it does not provide consistency guarantees. As a normal user, crashes are a fact of life - and I would hate to lose important data because of them or even have a corrupted file system afterwards.
In conclusion, let me tell you that I am looking forward for functionality that will allow restoring data from Level 2 cache after an unclean shutdown, as that could not only massively improve my disk write performance, but also keep the noisy HDD off for most of the time.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Deferred Writes - Power Loss + this is awesome.

Post by Jaga »

S3thc0n wrote:In conclusion, let me tell you that I am looking forward for functionality that will allow restoring data from Level 2 cache after an unclean shutdown, as that could not only massively improve my disk write performance, but also keep the noisy HDD off for most of the time.
Verify-after-write and Verify-on-preload could both help do that. I suppose it's just a matter of whether Romex thinks it's worthwhile, or if it impacts performance too much. I don't know if we currently have a journaling-write system for blocks that get written out of L2 cache.