Found a bug? Report here
RS4875
Level 1
Level 1

0.99 L2 cache is reset by restart after shutdown

Post by RS4875 »

hi Romex Forum,

i use PrimoCache 0.99 with win7 64bit and i have the problem,
after 2-3 Days on restart the system - the L2-Cache ssd is empty?

i use Primochache in modus 2: read max to ssd
with Ramcache VM: 1.280GB, readonly, Blocksize:16k, ssd use:max ; memory overhead: 1.23GB
so my system has with windows in idle mode 50% Ram 4Gb use and 4 GB are free.

my system is a multiboot system with xy,win7 32Bit,Win7 64Bit and Win8.1 64Bit.
i have no problem to restart and use a other OS and switch back to win7 64Bit -
the L2-Cache ist working.

Only to shutdown and restart next day - the chance is 50% i think, the L2-Cache is
working or is empty.

has primochache a Problem to control the Shutdown or the restart??
to pause the Cache and than shutdown - restart next day - l2-cache is working.
but this a manuall action to pause the cache - it work but when i forget - l2 chache is
by a 50% chance empty.

a automode - a option to primocache - to managed the restart and the shutdown modus.
in the case - restart - primocache do nothing,
in the case - shutdown - primochache self go in pause-modus and say windows -
ready - shutdown. as i idea??

I don´t now - this error is a win-Problem or a problem with my the mainboard or with primochache ???
my mainboard is a dfi-nvidia 680l sli ut board, with scsi-hd´s, at moment i use
a raid pcix-card in noraid modus to access the SATAIII 6GS SSD-HD as L2-cache.

Any idea what the problem with the L2-cache is or give it a patch ??

RS
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: 0.99 L2 cache is reset by restart after shutdown

Post by Support »

Do you set up L2cache for two or more operating systems?
If you make L2cache available for two or more operating systems, then L2 cache content will be reset when you switch windows systems. This is because PrimoCache traces the sync states between L2storage and Windows system to make sure cache content is not out of sync.
RS4875
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RS4875 »

hi Romex Forum support,

this is a mistake, i use a bootmanager-software from Terabyte,Bootit Bare Metal, to control the
os and his own partions. The Bootmannager swap the Bootblock and then aktivate the os partions or
hide the other partions. actuell only Win7 64bit has a ssd (223GB) and primocache v0.99 install
and i cache 4 partions.Cached HDs for Win7 64bit are:
c is 63GB, D is 279 GB, e is 49 Gb, H is 13GB.

The Cache will work fine, best load to L2-cache are 41 GB saved.
then my system will take a long boot - so 2 mins - and after this the l2-cache are 223 Gb free???
but not every day - i test this with v0.92 and with v0.99.
with pause the cache and than shutdown - no problem.
To forget this and only shutdown - the chance is 50% - if the L2-cache is okay or empty???

In the system log of windows under windows-protokolle system are not any show.
i have warning - to many dll load,
i have error - 7024 service control manager- german: Heimnetzgruppen-Listener wurde beendet.
i have warning - DNS client, router is waiting
i have error - steam firewall not open

but windows not show a log to primocache, hd error or other.

The Boottime is bigger and to look at the scsi tower and his drive led for HD-c, i think
windows is playing with windows. he take longer drive aktiv - to run a service task or so -
but no log file found.

When primochache is looking for sync with the l2-cache and the windowssystem - can he run out of time -
if the windowssystem is full runing service-task ???
i mean - to click firefox - 2sec.are open - or when windows is playing - 10sec. to open firefox??

are timer the problem or so ???

RS
RS4875
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RS4875 »

hi Romex Forum support,

i have an idea to delay the boottime of my windowssystem and i use TuneUp 2014 Utilities to check
my 8 HDs for error. No problem with the L2-Cache and drive d,e,f,g,h,i,j - all okay

but to check drive c, under windows desktop only 50% are checked and ask the Tuneup 2014 to
reboot and check drive c- reboot- drive c are running checks with chkdsk -show result and reboot
- startnormal (i think system boot longer) - and L2-cache are empty 223GB free? Why ??

no error found on disk and primochache are out of sync with the L2-cache?
in this test primocache are aktiv.

- L2-cache have saved 2GB so i -Pause- primochace and use explorer to plan a drive c check.
after check and reboot - the l2-cache is 223GB free. HM ????
in this test primochache are set to -Pause-

The 2 checks are kill the primocache drive sync with the L2-cache and the windowssystem.

Is Primocache option to check the sync with windowssystem and l2-cache to soft-triggering??

RS
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

To ensure L2 cache content is sync with source disk, PrimoCache uses a strict method. There is a soft flag to ensure that each computer startup is sync with L2 storage. So if you run chkdsk on boot and reboot after chkdsk completion, L2 cache storage may not sync with computer boot and will be reset.
RS4875
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RS4875 »

hi Romex Forum Support,

okay, i think the idea to boot longer with chkdsk is a longer boottime but not the real error i had with my system.

at moment i check the L2-Cache at first systemstart and he is okay.

On the 1.Februar windows ist start and 2 min he is working with drive c, i check the scsi tower,
and the aktiv led is full on, but nothing is doing - the login screen is not showing -
i think windows is runing a check-task or anything so - and after login - the L2-cache is empty.

At this Point the L2-cache had 41 GB write.
In windows logs i found nothing - i think i wait for the next month -
i think this will do my system longer - is not a really error - all is runing -
but the L2-cache - that the problem at moment.

i write more if i had any idea or found any info to this problem.

RS
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I can confirm an issue with the L2 cache. Mine was working through around 8 reboots over the course of one day. After two reboots today, it cleared itself and is starting over filling back up. It is a 30gb SSD L2 that took a while to get even 20gb full. At peak it was around 25gb full.

Not sure what the root cause is. I did no benchmark testing or other odd file-based behavior. Windows thinks it recovered from an unexpected shutdown, though it was me telling it to restart, not due to a crash or anything else. That may have been because of the L2 cache problem, or as a result of it. Unsure either way. Normally this workstation has no issues, so I'm associating the two just based on what I've seen and it's history of stability.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Quick update: L2 cache cleared itself again. No abnormal shutdowns, startups, etc. 27+ gb of information simply dumped, system started over again.