Problem with Windows "Compression Memory"?

Found a bug? Report here
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Problem with Windows "Compression Memory"?

Post by anbu »

Windows 10 Home. All updates. 12 GB RAM. Geforce. GTX 745.
Thank you for the new Version. :)

With the new version (also before with 3.0.8) 3.0.9. I could probably detect a problem. This doesn't have to be the case for other users. :?
It is probably (after my current tests) related to the "Compression Memory" function of Windows. If this is switched on, sometimes crashes, freezes and very high system loads occur in Windows (together with PrimoCache). I turned it off and it's been running for a few days now without glitches. I was able to reproduce the problem (by switching on and off attempts, also with and without PrimoCache, different settings in the cache). With version 3.0.2 there were no problems before.

I don't know exactly why. Maybe only: My system runs very intensively and is full of private and professional stuff. I could imagine that I cause a very heavy load here and some program or service doesn't follow anymore.
I have to test it further. Therefore only in advance and no guarantee for correctness.

BTW for interested people: How to switch the function "Compression Memory" off and on in Windows, it is described in https://andreas-busch.de/2019/01/03/mem ... indows-10/ (only in German language and with previous blog registration).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Problem with Windows "Compression Memory"?

Post by Support »

Thank you very much for the bug report!
There shall be no big differences between 3.0.2 and 3.0.8/3.0.9 as they both uses 3.0 core. Could you please upload a screenshot of PrimoCache main dialog showing the cache configuration and statistics?
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

I had already tried it with several different settings (also without L2). This screenshot Shows the actual Settings:

At the moment everything is running smoothly. There were no more crashes. Also very fast.
I also don't think that PrimoCache was the trigger (but it reacted since the new version). As I wrote before, another program might be guilty here. As in chemistry, where a third element triggers the reaction. I still think that there must have been a conflict somewhere deep in the system, because the problem always occurred at different moments.It also didn't always happen immediately, but only after a while (even if I wasn't sitting at the computer).
For me, it was now only important to tell if others had similar problems. Turning off Compressed Memory could be the first help here.
Attachments
pc.jpg
pc.jpg (142.15 KiB) Viewed 7712 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you again for the information!
We'll also do more testing on this.
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

Thank you for your regard. No further problems have occurred so far. Cache works great. Should anything new arise, I will report immediately.
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

Something new:
Someone told me that you should turn off Window's prefetch service as it could also cause memory problems. He noticed that when Windows didn't want to start anymore. After switching off the service, he had no more problems.
I did that too and now I can see that the system is running even better now.
Maybe the internal "new" memory settings of Windows run contrary to those of Primo Cache? My PC has a high I/O load. Maybe both "tuning measures" (and against each other) create such a high internal load that a crash has to occur. Just an assumption. If my PC were to run for days without crashing, I would have to accept that.
My cache hit rate is now almost 90 percent. A poverty testimony for Windows. Sorry, but such a "cache solution" should have been implemented by Windows itself. Romex prove it with their software that it can work better.
I observe further.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Good to hear anbu. I haven't used the Prefetch feature in many years, and with caching software like Primocache it is not just redundant, but it works against it. Definitely keep it turned off.

And I agree - Windows' disk caching algorithms are very sub-par. It's why I recommend Primocache to anyone interested in better system performance.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@anbu, good to hear too!
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

I have most likely found the solution now. But I don't know why it is like that. In any case, my PC has been running for days without crashing and with full performance.
Days before (and after my last post) I had a crash with PrimoCache again and searched within Windows for the cause.
I had switched off the Extra AntiVirus solution and the other tools as well. But it crashed again. Now I looked at Windows own protection ...

Okay, now the solution:
The exploit protection seems to be guilty.

I have now put the PrimoCache program in the exception and since then no more problems. With the other measures from above (so without compression memory, it also has advantages), the system runs very fast. Faster as before.

How can it be that the exploit protection suddenly causes problems? Is it just the new version of the Primo cache (I didn't have any problems before) or the latest Windows updates?

I'll leave everything configured that way now. 😊

For the users: With all possible crashes in Windows, you should pay special attention to the exploit protection and turn it off for testing purposes.
PC.jpg
PC.jpg (140.29 KiB) Viewed 7527 times

Conclusion: Now Windows runs with PrimoCache as fast as I wished.

If I didn't get back to you, it really was the solution.

Sorry for all the reports, but only this way you can understand it well.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

This is really weird and we wonder that this is not the root cause.
PrimoCache applications like FancyCcV.exe/rxpcc.exe/fcsetup.exe shall not cause system bsod/freeze. They are only interfaces to execute functions which are implemented in the kernel driver. Besides, fcsetup.exe is only used in install/uninstall process.