View L2 Cache content

Suggestions around PrimoCache
AndecIunson
Level 1
Level 1

View L2 Cache content

Post by AndecIunson »

Hi.. it would be nice to be able to view what data is cached in the L2 cache.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: View L2 Cache content

Post by Jaga »

It wouldn't be very useful, since Primocache works at the block level, not the file/folder level. You'd never get a list of meaningful information - even a list of disk sectors might not help, since the block size in Primocache can be different than disk sector size.
FalkH
Level 3
Level 3

To bad

Post by FalkH »

Block level support is good, since it will only cache used blocks instead of whole files. On the downside it is also not possible to exclude some filetypes or folder from caching for the same reason as there is no cache content viewer?

How will Primocache determine the ranking which block will be transfered to cache? Maybe it's possible to give some filetypes an negative ranking?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

PrimoCache determine the ranking based on block usage frequency, that is how often a block was accessed.
We also consider to support file-level ranking in the future.
nKlar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nKlar »

support wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 am PrimoCache determine the ranking based on block usage frequency, that is how often a block was accessed.
We also consider to support file-level ranking in the future.
Hello!
Is there any news about this feature?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Sorry, this is still under development.
fredderic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fredderic »

I get trying to put together the list of files being cached would be tedious…

But there are times when I'd be quite willing to sit there while it scans my filesystem collecting the set of files and their block numbers, so it can present a list of the "most cached" files… and maybe little bar graphs showing how much of each file is cached, and how strongly or whatever other information might be available.

Should also be much easier if you do add file-level controls at some point… But in the meantime, a "please go enjoy a coffee while we read your entire mutiterrabyte filesystem structure to figure out which files correspond to the stuff we're caching" would be quite reasonable, And once done, it shouldn't be too hard to keep it updated live… (I'm actually not particularly interested in file-level controls, personally… I'd rather keep the service portion as slim and sleek as possible.)

Heck, even a heat map of the filesystem(s) being cached would be a nice start, if not terribly useful… and add filenames on mouse-over once the by-file view is done.