Primocache for diskless program (ccboot)

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
cemara
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Primocache for diskless program (ccboot)

Post by cemara »

Some clients were having long loading times last night, but i will monitor again for a few days just to be sure.
Btw, is there anyway to "force cache" a specific folder?
Because there are 2-3 games that often accessed and it would be better to always cache them..
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Nope, though it's been requested in the past. For now all you can do is pre-load it yourself from a client, 2-3 times. That should force the cache to prioritize it over other stuff short term. The problem you're seeing so far is that the games are large, probably don't completely fit into L1, and they've neer been read in the past. The first couple of times they'll be read into the cache at normal speed, and served at normal speed.

One trick you can try if you need to is partitioning out the physical drive into different volumes. Put your most important items on one of the volumes, and set the L1 to only cache it. The L2 can cache the other volumes with less important stuff. But if the software you're serving is larger than the L1, it'll run into contention over space, and have the same problems.

The underlying problem you're seeing is trying to run enterprise level application access for multiple clients, on workstation hardware. Ideally you'd throw a much bigger and more capable server at the problem. We know you can't with the restriction on funds, so just keep trying different things and see what works.
cemara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cemara »

I'm not sure whats the cause, but last night the clients were having slow booting times,
And lags occur on several games, namely ROS and dota2,
so i had to revert the cache to ccboot's cache.
And things went back to normal, games also ran better
I already disabled ccboot's cache when i used primo's so i'm not sure whats the cause