Manual L2 cache population

Suggestions around PrimoCache
SirAdelaide
Level 1
Level 1

Manual L2 cache population

Post by SirAdelaide »

I often run simulations that produce GB of results, which I then need to post process. I save the results to HDD, but it would be great to work off L2 cache for the time I'm working with the files as the HDD is slow.

Because I make the files once, then work with them for a day, each file doesn't really register as a frequently accessed file by caching algorithms.

It would be great to be able to specify a set of files to load in entirety into the L2 cache so that I get cache hits throughout my work day. The cache could be overwritten by normal program operations over time, but at least I'd be starting from a good position.

I'm thinking something like the 'pinned' files discussed here:
https://ddp-americas.com/ssd-caching-load-balancing-1/
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Manual L2 cache population

Post by Jaga »

That's a long-requested feature (I can think of mentioning it in the past more than once to the developer). Forcing a read of specific files/folder structures into the L1 or L2, simply by using an Explorer-based context menu would be divine. At this point it doesn't exist in the feature set, though Romex has acknowledged the request.

I think the best alternative is to create a special partition for those files on whatever data drive holds them, and a corresponding dedicated L2 cache task just for that volume. That way you can be sure that the space used for that special L2 goes 100% to your data files.