Install conflict with Samsung Magician

Found a bug? Report here
JimF
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Install conflict with Samsung Magician

Post by JimF »

Maybe this explains the problem I had yesterday with Primo Ramdisk Pro 6.1 (if it is similar to PrimoCache). I installed it on a Win10 (1809) new install that also had Samsung Magician 5.2.1 installed, and Rapid Mode cache enabled. I found that the junction points I created did not work with my BOINC distributed computing software. It turns out that not all of the data was transferred from the junction point on the SSD to the corresponding target on the ramdisk. I then upgraded to Primo Ramdisk 6.2, but that did not work either. So I just uninstalled Primo Ramdisk.

Maybe I should report it in the Ramdisk section, but this seems fairly close.

EDIT: By the way, Primo Ramdisk Pro 6.1 works OK with Samsung Rapid Mode cache on Windows 7 64-bit, so I assumed it would be OK on Win10. That is always a mistake with MS these days.
rutra80
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rutra80 »

Rapid won't work even if I won't use RAM/L1 as cache for SSD?
Scenario I intended: most of SSD as system disk, HDD as data disk, small partition on SSD for L2 cache of HDD, RAM/L1 cache used only for HDD, RAM caching of SSD served by Rapid.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I'm just guessing, but Samsung's Rapid mode may intercept disk operations at the kernel level, which is the exact same level at which Primocache intercepts them. Not a good combination under those circumstances, and I'm pretty sure it's been recommended not to run both at the same time, since they essentially do similar tasks (Primocache just does it better).

It's interesting to hear about junction points on Ramdisk however. Support may have feedback on that one.
JimF
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JimF »

Jaga wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:44 amIt's interesting to hear about junction points on Ramdisk however. Support may have feedback on that one.
I uninstalled Samsung Magician, and re-installed Primo Ramdisk Pro 6.3. Everything worked fine this time, and all the junction points were created/transferred properly. So it appears that Samsung Rapid Mode cache was the problem. That is not surprising, I was just lucky that it worked on Win 7.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Good to hear Jim. A great reason to disable startup at boot for Magician if it's installed, and keep Rapid off. :)