Immediate BSOD on install Server 2016 Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
Nekoman
Level 2
Level 2

Immediate BSOD on install Server 2016

Post by Nekoman »

PrimoCache version: v2.4.0 and v3.0.2 Beta
Cache Settings: Unable to set couldn't get that far.
Windows OS: Windows Server 2016 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.2007) all updates and patches current.
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): Intel E5-2678 v3/ Supermicro X10SRi-F / 32GB 2400mhz DDR4 Reg ECC / 400GB SAS SLC Boot Drive / 200 GB SATA SSD Secondary Scratch/Temp Drive / other drives removed during testing.
Description: Just tried installing PrimoCache both versions available for download and I get an immediate BSOD on reboot after install.

Here is the BSOD Message

Stop code: ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY
What failed: rxfcv.sys

I see in the compatibility listing for the downloads that server 2016 is a supported OS for v3.0.2 Beta is this a known issue?
I Searched the forum but don't see a similar post for Server 2016.

For testing before I restored the pc from backup I uninstalled all software including ESET except Hyper-V and still get the same error.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Immediate BSOD on install Server 2016

Post by Support »

Could you please find the dump file for the BSOD and send it to us [email protected]? The dump file usually is in the folder c:\windows\minidump\, or the file c:\windows\memory.dmp.
For more information about the dump file, please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/know ... -file.html

Many Thanks.
Nekoman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nekoman »

I didn't see your response before left to go out of town. I will copy the dump file and forward it to support once I get back around Tuesday, Jan 30. Thanks for the quick response.
Nekoman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nekoman »

I just had the chance to re-install Primocache 3.0.2 Beta and attempted to get a memory/kernel dump but it crashes windows so fast that it doesn't have the ability to make the dump file before the stop code. I tried all the dump file options and even tried storing it on separate drives. I configured manual page file settings of at least 1.5x ram on the boot drive and even tried auto mode with no luck. It doesn't even write an event to the event log as it crashes before anything that could write it loads. Is there anything else you want me to try?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Really weird. Is it possible for you to check the bios and disable Secure Boot if have?
Lappy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lappy »

I'm having the same bluescreen stop code on Windows 10 after installing Hyper-V Hypervisor via Windows Features, the only way to get the system back into a bootable state was by booting into safe mode and uninstalling PrimoCache.

I'm also having no memory dump being created.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@Lappy, PrimoCache was installed and had a cache tasking running before installing Hyper-V, right? If yes, do you remember the cache settings and which volumes were cached?
arthurmarsh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arthurmarsh »

To resolve the ATTEMPTED WRITE TOREADONLY MEMORY BSOD error, check the system for over clocking. You can disable all Overclocking or use a lower setting based on the clock frequency specified by the manufacturer of the CPU, GPU, and other installed devices. You can also resolve this issue by employing the Last Known Good Configuration feature that allows you to start the computer by employing the latest settings and configurations that worked.

To check if the error is caused by a faulty drive, run an automatic driver update or manually update the drivers to the latest available versions.

To manually update a driver, follow these steps:

Click Start
Type in devmgmt.msc in the search box
Click devmgmt from results list
Right-click on the driver
To update the driver, select Update Driver Software.
To disable the driver, select Disable.
To uninstall the driver, select Uninstall.

To run an automatic driver update, follow these steps:

Click Start
Go to Devices and Printers
Right-click on your computer
Select Device Installation Settings
Select Yes, do this automatically
Click Save Changes
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I'm sorry for the late update on this thread. This issue is caused by Windows Core Isolation - Memory Integrity. PrimoCache /Primo Ramdisk is not compatible with this option. When the Memory Integrity option is enabled, Windows will boot into BSOD. The latest v3.0.9 checks this option first before install, and will pop up a prompt message if it sees this option is on.