L2 cache corrupted 0.99 Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
Bjameson
Level 6
Level 6

Re: L2 cache corrupted 0.99

Post by Bjameson »

One more question Yozzer: is it only Warband that crashes, or do other applications too? I find this problem most intriguing so I Googled for "warband game randomly crashes" and got a load of hits.

One guy played for 600 days and suddenly got crashes out of the blue, for no reason at all. Others change OS or hardware and get inexplicable random crashes. The game simply bombs out and is killed off by Windows. The keyword appears to be change. Warband runs stable until you change something. Any change, be it in hardware or software, appears to trigger random crashes. I say 'appears' because so far nobody has been able to put a finger on anything.

I was wondering if you could somehow re-install Warband with L2 on (without losing your saved games). Maybe the game configures itself properly during setup but panics when it finds something different. In this case "different" as in a sudden increase in disk speed. Anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Strange as it may seem, it would help if others reported similar L2 issues too. In my case (heavy L2 VM caching) PrimoCache has been perfectly stable so far.
Yozzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Yozzer »

@Bjameson

Sorry for the delay replying, I have been out all day. Yes, strange but it does only appear to effect Warband. I know Warband is a rather old program written in Python, (I used to help write mods for it but it can take over your life, so now I just play).
I did reinstall the game, but with the cache disabled, so I will again reinstall with the cache, L1 and L2 enabled and using the original SSD with the same settings. I have already deleted the partition on it, so I will be starting from scratch.
I will post back tomorrow as it is a little late here. And thanks for the suggestion.
Yozzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Yozzer »

Well it is looking good. I had already deleted the L2 partition on the SSD to test it which was fine, so I set the cache for the 2 drives as before the problem, then reinstalled the game, and after about 6 hours testing it has been fine. It may have been a problem with the SSD and deleting the partition etc. sorted it, or, as Bjameson suggested, reinstalling Warband with same configuration as is used for running the game, i.e. the cache up and running for the install, but it has gone from being pretty problematic failing consistently within an hour, to 6 hours clear. I perhaps should have split the action into 2 steps, testing with the SSD after deleting the partition etc. before reinstalling Warband, but it is working fine and for that I am glad. Should it happen again, I will see which step fixes it.
My thanks to Bjameson for his idea, and to all those who posted, I am happy again with a stable system, PrimoCache with L1 and L2 running was missed.
Just a final point, this has become a very useful forum for the users of PrimoCache, and I have learnt a lot from reading the posts, so thanks to support for their input, and Romex for providing it.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@Yozzer, thank you for the testing and feedback!
@Bjameson, thanks for pointing out the issue in Warband.
Bjameson
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bjameson »

Glad I could help out a little. Should the problem recur, try upgrading Python. They're at V3.3.3 now and backward compatible with V2.0. Unfortunately Python 3.3.3 also has minor crashing issues.