Pause & Release Memory

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
TerryP
Level 1
Level 1

Pause & Release Memory

Post by TerryP »

Hi there.

Is it possible to pause the L1 cache and free/release the memory held for it?

Basically I want to pause the cache task when I do not need it, free up the memory it was using for other tasks.
Similar to how RAM disk software works where you stop the RAM disk and it writes it's contents to a user defined location, when you resume, it reloads the contents back into memory for use.

Had a very quick search (first 3 pages) couldn't find the terms I was looking for...

Cheers,
Terry.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Pause & Release Memory

Post by Support »

If you only use L1 cache, I think you can reach the target by removing all cached volumes from the cache task. When the cache task is empty, it will release the memory held. And when you want to resume the cache, you may just add these volumes to the cache task again.
You may use the CLI commands to quickly run above operations.

For the cases that you have L2 cache enabled at the same time, removing volumes from the cache task will cause level-2 cache content reset. If you don't care, then you still can use above method. If you don't want to reset L2 cache content, then I'm afraid that so far PrimoCache doesn't support the function you required. We'll forward your request to the R&D team and may support it in future.

Thank you.