Failed to start cache / to convert this volume to a level-2 storage volume!

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Kalex
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Failed to start cache / to convert this volume to a level-2 storage volume!

Post by Kalex »

I just checked all of these, but each of them was empty. I checked both, the "Scripts"-Tab and also the "PowerShell-Scripts"-Tab, none of them had any contents. No contents under Start and Shutdown, no contents under Logon and Logoff.

There's also nothing relevant in my autostart-folder ("shell:startup"), except for manually added tools I want to start up after login. (I also tested booting with all of them disabled, just to be sure.)

The only other programs allowed to auto start are cFosSpeed and 360 Total Security, both I trust completely to not interfere. The Antivirus is set up to ask me and to do nothing without user interaction. Also had it disabled while testing.
Kalex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kalex »

Haven't changed anything on the PC for two days and I just randomly started the Application and was astonished to not see the "Your Trial has expired"-Message. I clicked the "Activate PrimoCache-Button" and it showed me that I'd have 24 days of trial left. I swiftly tried to create a small L1-Cache and it just worked too.
I then tried to apply the extended trial license you sent me and allowed it to restart the machine. Now it's again just telling me the trial period has expired.
Guess I'll have to give up on it, though I really started to like PrimoCache. I even already reverted back to an older Intel RST Driver, before they dropped support for Intel Smart Reponse Technology, so I can at least utilize 64 GB SSD Cache, though I don't like these outdated limitations...
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

It seems that the trial license/key we sent was functioning. Did you try the both methods?
The issue seems quite weird...However, we found that 360 Total Security might block the PrimoCache's kernel driver. Could you try to add the driver files rxfcv.sys and rxbsknl.sys under the folder c:\windows\system32\drivers\ to 360 Total Security's trusted file list?
Thank you.
Kalex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kalex »

Yes, I tried both methods.

I also just tried both methods again with 360 Total Security entirely disabled. I did not only temporarily pause it, but set it up to not start its protection on windows startup at all. I did this because 360 Total Security did not appear to apply the both files to it's whitelist as it doesn't seem to accept .sys-files in general. Additionally, just to be sure, I added the whole C:\windows\system32\drivers\-Folder to the whitelist, which it accepted just fine.
However, even though I tried both methods again, it keeps telling me the trial period has expired. So no luck, again.

Also, 360 Total Security didn't interfere with PrimoCache before the migration, so I already tended to guess it wouldn't be the cause. It hasn't caused me any trouble for the last five years as it's not a very aggressive antivirus unlike some other antivirus, that are blocking stuff without asking the user for decision/permission.

**Correction: When I spoke about using 360 Total Security, I actually always refered to 360 Total Security Essentials, not the bloated big brother with additional bloatware-tools.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you for the information and checking! We have sent you a new license email. Please check. Thanks.
Kalex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kalex »

Thanks to the helpful and friendly Support we were able to fix it. If it works well for me, I'll tell my friends about this jewel! :mrgreen: