L2 Cache and time alive of data

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Earthkeeper
Level 1
Level 1

L2 Cache and time alive of data

Post by Earthkeeper »

I'm using my 64GB SSD to L2-cache my D: which contains games. Let's say I start Total War: Three Kingdoms and it takes about 5 minutes to start. I close the game and start it again. Now it takes only 1 minute.

However, when I go back to play the same game a day later (the PC is always on), the data has already been discarded from the cache. I've not run any other games on my D:, and the 64GB L2-Cache has not been filled up. How long is the data retained in the L2 cache before it is discarded? Is there a setting to make it persistent?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: L2 Cache and time alive of data

Post by Jaga »

Sounds like Windows itself might be doing the caching on the volume instead of Primocache, and you have no control over persistency in the Windows cache. Have you tried checking the L2 statistics after clearing it once, then running the game many times in succession to see if it fills the L2?

Hard to know which is handling the caching without some testing and concrete detail.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: L2 Cache and time alive of data

Post by Support »

You may check the cache statistics "L2Storage Write" and "L2Storage Read" when you play the game. "L2Storage Write" indicates how many bytes were populated to L2 cache. "L2Storage Read" indicates how many bytes were read from L2 cache.
Jaga wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:14 pm How long is the data retained in the L2 cache before it is discarded? Is there a setting to make it persistent?
It is persistent until the cache is full. When cache is full, some old data will be discarded.