L2 Cache Cleared on Reboot

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Asgaroth
Level 3
Level 3

L2 Cache Cleared on Reboot

Post by Asgaroth »

Hi All,

I've been using PrimoCache for the better part of 3 years now and I've just noticed that recently (v3.0.9), every time I reboot my system, I lose the contents of the L2 cache.

I have a task that is configured to only perform read caching with an L2 storage cache, this has been working nicely for some time now, except for the issue I've described above.

I've attached an image of the cache configuration, just in-case it's something I have done wrong.

Any thoughts on why this may happen?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/tips.
Attachments
PrimoCache_Configuration.png
PrimoCache_Configuration.png (86.95 KiB) Viewed 8586 times
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: L2 Cache Cleared on Reboot

Post by Jaga »

Is the L2 marked in advanced options as having "Volatile Cache Contents"? That will dump the L2 on every reboot/shutdown. There are advanced options for the Cache Task that you didn't post screens for, so it's hard to tell for sure what's going on.
Asgaroth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Asgaroth »

No, the volatile cache contents option is not set in the advanced options for the cache task.

I'm not sure what has changed, or if something with the 1903 Windows 10 update has changed something, but, it is recent enough that this started happening.
Attachments
PrimoCache_Advanced_Configuration.png
PrimoCache_Advanced_Configuration.png (53.11 KiB) Viewed 8576 times
Asgaroth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Asgaroth »

I just recalled, a couple months back a switched my 2 SSD's into a MS Storage Spaces striped volume. It is this volume that the PrimoCache L2 cache is formatted on. I'm wondering if this is what is causing it to have the cache cleared on reboot.

I've now created a striped volume using Disk Manager in windows 10, I'll see if a reboot clears out the cache using the "older" technology.
neatchee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by neatchee »

I wonder if this is an order-of-operations issue.

I could see a world where Storage Spaces are initialized after the PrimoCache driver and therefore the driver can't see the partition it's expecting at startup and marks the cache dirty or something similar.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

neatchee wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:13 pm I wonder if this is an order-of-operations issue.

I could see a world where Storage Spaces are initialized after the PrimoCache driver and therefore the driver can't see the partition it's expecting at startup and marks the cache dirty or something similar.
Quite possibly yes. I would wipe out the storage spaces volume and either use RAID (hard or soft) to combine the volumes for Primocache, or simply break them up and re-test using one only.
Asgaroth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Asgaroth »

I can confirm that when I create a L2 storage device on a striped (raid-0) volume within windows's disk manager interface, then the l2 cache remains in tact across reboots.

This is not the case when the volume is created with MS Storage Spaces Pools (also a striped pool set).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Asgaroth wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:05 am I can confirm that when I create a L2 storage device on a striped (raid-0) volume within windows's disk manager interface, then the l2 cache remains in tact across reboots.

This is not the case when the volume is created with MS Storage Spaces Pools (also a striped pool set).
Thank you for the information! We'll check this.
yaronshani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yaronshani »

Any update on this issue? I am having the same problem. Thanks
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@yaronshani, is your volume also created with MS Storage Spaces Pools?
You may checking the following if you experience the L2 reset.
1. Did you install a cracked version of PrimoCache or Primo Ramdisk before? These cracked versions will cause L2 cache reset and they may remain even you uninstall them.
2. Do you have write-protect on the Windows partition?
3. Is there ungraceful shutdown?
4. If you are using Windows 10 and no issues on above, you may try to disable Windows Fast Startup (PrimoCache - Options - Turn Off Windows Fast Startup).