FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
spike6479
Level 2
Level 2

Cache task volumes specs disappeared

Post by spike6479 »

I have 2 cache tasks:
1. Normal operating: 11 partitions cached
2. Backup drives: 5 partitions, used one day a week when external backup box is turned on.

All of a sudden I noticed that both my cache tasks had no drives. I don't know if it's cause and effect, but I noticed after installing win 10 may 2019 update. It's not a major issue, I'm just curious as to what may be the cause.
Babel17
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cache task volumes specs disappeared

Post by Babel17 »

IIRC that's normal, and it happens to me as well when the Windows OS gets a version bump. I guess it's a case of "better safe than sorry".
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Some Windows updates re-enumerate the drives, and as a result Primocache loses track of them. It's a MS problem in my opinion - the only solution is to re-add the volumes to your existing cache tasks and keep on going.
spike6479
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spike6479 »

Jaga wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:03 am Some Windows updates re-enumerate the drives, and as a result Primocache loses track of them. It's a MS problem in my opinion - the only solution is to re-add the volumes to your existing cache tasks and keep on going.
I can accept that the problem may be re-enumeration of drives; but I don't agree it's an MS problem. I also run HD Sentinile and it's never had a problems with identifying drives after an OS update. In any case, I think that primoCache should at least notify the user that it has happened. Although I will certainly be checking after each OS update; and I will export my configuration.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We have ways to fully identify drives, however, it costs too much time during the boot and may affect the boot time. We are still working to find a better solution. Thanks.
spike6479
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spike6479 »

Now that I know of the phenomenon, it's not a big problem. Maybe a notification that the cache configuration has been lost. Also it might be simple to have a saved configuration that can be automatically reloaded when the configuration is lost.