GUI Stops Updating Cache Values

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Widdershins
Level 4
Level 4

GUI Stops Updating Cache Values

Post by Widdershins »

I'm commonly finding the GUI will cease updating the cache values. This happens for existing caches. Also, when it happens I can even delete and recreate a cache task and the new cache task won't update either. Closing and relaunching the GUI doesn't remedy it. The only thing that fixes it is a reboot of Windows. What are your suggestions as to how to deal with this without having to reboot Windows?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: GUI Stops Updating Cache Values

Post by Jaga »

Sounds like something might be wrong with the install. I've never experienced what you're describing before, in dozens of installs over dozens of versions. Perhaps try uninstalling, rebooting, re-installing and re-creating the cache task from scratch (not a saved .cfg file). Perhaps even re-downloading the installer fresh for the new install, to ensure you have a good copy.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We didn't receive this kind of report before. quite weird...perhaps you may reinstall the program again, as Jaga said.
Widdershins
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Widdershins »

Alright we'll see how this goes. Uninstalled, redownloaded, reinstalled. SHA1 of the PrimoCache 3.0.9 zip matches the 19A34869AFE30C5C02BF0AFE80DE191C64E6005E

I've never saved any config files, so no problem there. I'm skeptical about corruption as I haven't any explicit file error generated while using PrimoCache and before setting up this unit I ran MemTest86 with ECC detection on my ECC dimms for a day and it came back clean. Fortunately it's been a great setup thus far without any flagged ECC errors or Windows bug checks.

When peaking at the Windows eventviewer application log I don't see Primo or Romex as event source under the filter menu. I also don't see logging for Primo/Romex elsewhere under appdata etc.

I came across this when trying to find a log. Hopefully verbose logging has been added since 2014?
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2470&start=10#p6767
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

PrimoCache event source is named as "FancyCcV".
Widdershins
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Widdershins »

Gotcha. Yeah the only entry I have for FancyCcV is "The evaluation period for this installation of PrimoCache has expired." from when I reinstalled it and it first launched to expiry before I could enter the license info. Has verbose logging been added since that 2014 discussion?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

The PrimoCache GUI program can run in the debug mode by appending the "-d" parameter. However, I don't think there's useful information to trace this problem.

It seems that the PrimoCache kernel stops working because it detects the license issue. May I take the liberty to ask if you installed the crack program before? Could you please check the following settings? Thanks.

1. Open GPE by entering "gpedit.msc" (no quotes) into the Run dialog (Win+R).
2. In the left panel, select "Windows Settings" under "Computer Configuration."
3. Double-click "Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)" in the right panel.
4. Double-click "Startup" and "Shutdown", and check if there are any scripts.
5. In the left panel, select "Windows Settings" under "User Configuration."
6. Double-click "Scripts (Logon/Logoff)" in the right panel.
7. Double-click "Logon" and "Logoff", and check if there are any scripts.
Widdershins
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Widdershins »

Understood about debug mode. Crack software?? No. I paid for 3 licenses in December on order 4PF91227WV6764537.

No there aren't any scripts/powershell scripts under the computer config or user config.

As indicated in my previous post...the reason those entries appeared in event viewer is because you suggested I uninstall and reinstall PrimoCache which I did. By your design of PrimoCache, on reinstall the license wasn't loaded and PrimoCache prompts its trial has expired and the license must be reapplied which I did.

I just mentioned that to let you know I do in fact see that PrimoCache does tag entries to eventviewer.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Yes, you are right. If the license is expired, you even cannot create a new cache task. I'm sorry that so far I have no idea about this problem. Could you upload a screenshot of the PrimoCache main dialog which shows the cache configuration and statistics for our checking, when this problem happens? You may also check if the CLI command (rxpcc perf -a) will update the statistics or not when you see the problem. Regarding the CLI, please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... rface.html
Thanks.